Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 25. — The Chief Commissioner to S. Percy Smith, Esq., Government Surveyor

No. 25.
The Chief Commissioner to S. Percy Smith, Esq., Government Surveyor.

page 310
Tokotea Block.—Survey to be made. Land Purchase Department, Auckland, 24th June, 1861.

Sir,—

I have to request that you will place yourself in communication with Paora's tribe at Koputauaki, to carry on an outline survey of the Tokotea Block. It will be unnecessary to make a regular survey of an expensive character, but at the same time the boundaries should be marked out in such a manner that no dispute may hereafter arise relative to them. Wahi Tapu, graves, cultivations, and other spots which the Natives may wish to have reserved to themselves should be properly surveyed and the boundaries distinctly marked out on the ground.

It will be necessary that some of the Native proprietors should accompany you to point out the correct boundaries, who will be paid for their services at the usual rate of wages for such work. The general object of the survey is to have the boundaries of the land given up by the late Paora's tribe for gold diggings, defined with sufficient distinctness, to avoid any possibility of dispute or encroachment on Native territory.

You will compute as accurately as you can the area of the land that has been ceded by Paora's people for gold-digging.

A few posts put up in places where you deem it necessary will be requisite, more especially where there are no rivers or natural boundaries.

I enclose for your guidance a copy of Memorandum of Agreement in which the boundaries of the land given up by them for gold-digging is described.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Chief Commissioner.

S. Percy Smith, Esq., Government Surveyor, Coromandel.