Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 21. — The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Preece

No. 21.
The Chief Commissioner to Mr. Preece.

Mahurangi.—Karaitana objects to money being paid to Maihi for Mahurangi Island. Land Purchase Office, Auckland, 8th June, 1860.

Sir,—

The Native Chief Karaitiana has informed me that the sum of (£30) Thirty pounds has been paid by you to Maihi Te Ohoka for the Island of Mahurangi, instead of having been paid to him, as he thinks it ought to have been, and now desires payment for the land. He also states that Forty pounds (£40) was paid to certain Natives at Opito, which ought to have been paid to him; and that Maaka; of Whangama[gap — reason: damage]oro, who objected to the sale of the Hahei block, has no claim to that block, and that there is now no objection on the part of the owners to its being sold to the Government. Karaitiana has also requested payment for the Pungapunga block, which was surveyed by Mr. Kempthorne.

I have advised him to apply to you for a settlement of these questions, and have to request that you will investigate his grievances, and report the result for the information of the Government.

I have, &c.,

Donald McLean,
Chief Commissioner.

James Preece, Esq., Coromandel.