Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 7. — The Hon. the Colonial Secretary to Captain W. C. Symonds

No. 7.
The Hon. the Colonial Secretary to Captain W. C. Symonds.

Colonial Secretary's Office, Auckland, 4th November, 1841.

Sir,—

With reference to my letter of the 28th ultimo, conveying to you the sanction of His Excellency the Governor to the emigrants sent out by the Manukau Land Company being permitted to settle on the Manukau, I do myself the honour to inform you of the terms on which the parties sent out by that company will be permitted to hold permissive occupancy of the land mentioned.

The emigrants will be allowed to locate on the Manukau on the express understanding that they occupy such land on sufferance only, until the pleasure of the Secretary of State shall be known on the subject. They will also be permitted to cut firewood and timber from the land adjacent, with the reservation of trees extending twenty inches in diameter and saplings under six inches.

page 5

I am further directed by the Governor to acquaint you that, in the event of the land so held by the emigrants sent out by the Manukau Company being hereafter sold to the Government, the parties holding permissive occupancy of the same will be allowed one month to remove their houses.

I have, &c.,

Willoughby Shortland.

Captain W. C. Symonds, &c., Auckland.