Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Enclosures. — (No. 1.) — H. S. Wardell, Esq., R.M., to the Hon. the Colonial Treasurer

Enclosures.
(No. 1.)
H. S. Wardell, Esq., R.M., to the Hon. the Colonial Treasurer.

Poverty Bay.—As to Native Intentions to reclaim their Lands. Resident Magistrate's Court, Turanga, 29th June, 1858.

Sir,—

The Europeans in this neighbourhood are residing on land purchased at various times by private individuals from the aboriginal owners. For those lands no Crown titles have been issued, but I am informed the claims have been submitted for the decision of the Land Claims Commissioner Recently Kahutia and other Natives have expressed their intention to repay the cattle and goods received for the sale of these lands, and require a rental for the occupation of them. The cattle - received in payment for lands, claimed by Thomas Uren and Robert Espie are now-being collected and will shortly be returned. This will, I think, prove the commencement of a general movement. I not apprehend any force will be used to remove the Europeans, but I think it probable that they will be subjected to such a series of annoyances and depredations as may eventually compel them to leave.

Under these circumstances I have the honour to beg to be informed if, in the opinion of His Excellency's Government, I can pursue any other course than that I have adopted, namely, to represent to the Natives that as they were consenting parties to the sale of the land in question, the simple fact of their returning the payment of the purchasers, without their consenting to receive it, will not destroy their claim to the land.

I have, &c.,.

Herbert S. Wardell,
Resident Magistrate.

The Hon. the Colonial Treasurer.