Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Reply of His Excellency to the foregoing Memorial

Reply of His Excellency to the foregoing Memorial.

Gentlemen,—

In reply to the memorial you have presented to me, praying, for the various reasons therein set forth, that I would not under any circumstances sanction the issue of Crown grants in respect of purchases made from the Natives under the terms, of a Proclamation of my predecessor, dated 10th October, 1844, I have to acquaint you that, much as I regret the injury which may by this measure be inflicted upon the interests of yourselves, and, indeed, upon those of the vast majority of Her Majesty's subjects of both races who inhabit this colony, it is not at present in my power to do, more than assure youthat, in arranging the complicated claims which have arisen under" the terms of the Proclamation above alluded to, I will to the best of my ability and judgment do such justice to all the interests concerned as upon mature inquiry may be found practicable.

George Grey, Lieutenant-Governor.