Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 41. — Copy of a Despatch from the Right Hon. Earl Granville, E.G., to Governor Sir G. F. Bowen, G.C.M.G:

page 189

No. 41.
Copy of a Despatch from the Right Hon. Earl Granville, E.G., to Governor Sir G. F. Bowen, G.C.M.G:

Downing Street, 18th March, 1869.

Sir,—

On your representation of the value of the services rendered by the chief Te Kepa or Major Kemp, I sent to you in September last a silver-mounted sword, in order that it might be presented by you to that chief in token of Her Majesty's recognition of his services. Additional swords were forwarded to you by the last mail for presentation to five other Maori chiefs, who had rendered important services to the Government. I request that you will take a suitable occasion of presenting them to the chiefs for whom they are intended, and whose names they bear. You, will not fail to explain that they are presented to them by Her Majesty in recognition of their loyalty to the Crown, and of the gallantry which they have shown, in support of Her Majesty's Colonial Government.

I have, &c.,

Granville.

Governor Sir G. F. Bowen, G.C.M.G.