Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 31. — Copy of a Despatch from his Grace the Duke of Buckingham to Governor Sir George Grey, K.C.B

No. 31.
Copy of a Despatch from his Grace the Duke of Buckingham to Governor Sir George Grey, K.C.B.

Notice of Governor Bowen's Appointment. Downing Street, 22nd August, 1867.

Sir,—

You were informed by my Despatch No. 37, of the 18th June, that you would shortly be relieved from your duties as Governor of New Zealand and that you would be apprised of the time at which your successor might be expected to arrive in the colony. I have now to acquaint you that I have submitted to the Queen the name of Sir G. Bowen, the present Governor of Queensland, as your successor in the Government of New Zealand, and that Her Majesty has been pleased to approve the appointment. I regret that I am unable at present to inform you definitively of the time at which Sir G. Bowen may be expected to arrive in the colony, but I have desired him to give you as long a notice as is practicable of the probable time of his arrival.

I have, &c.,

Buckingham and Chandos.

Governor Sir George Grey, K.C.B.