Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Proclamatin

Proclamatin.

Calling on Native Tribes to come in and give themselves up.
[Extract from New Zealand Gazette. ]

By His Excellency Sir G. Grey, Knight Commander of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath, Governor and Commander-in-Chief in and over Her Majesty's Colony of New Zealand and its Dependencies, and Vice-Admiral of the same, &c.

Whereas by an Act of the General Assembly of New Zealand, intituled "The New Zealand Settle page 178 ments Act, 1863," it is enacted that it shall be lawful for the Governor, by Proclamation to be published in the Maori as well as the English language, to call upon any Native tribes, or individuals thereof, who shall have been engaged in any of the offences specified in section five of the said Act, to come in and submit to trial according to law, on or before a certain day to be therein named; and all who shall refuse or neglect to come in and submit themselves accordingly shall not be entitled to compensation under the said Act:

Now, therefore, I, Sir George Grey, the Governor as aforesaid of the said colony, in pursuance of the said power and authority in me vested do hereby call upon the Native tribes named in the Schedule hereto who have been engaged in the offences in the said Act specified—that is to say: (1) who shall, since the first day of January, one thousand eight hundred and sixty-three, have been engaged in levying or making war or carrying arms against Her Majesty the Queen, or Her Majesty's forces in New Zealand; or (2) who shall have adhered to, aided, or assisted, or comforted any such persons as aforesaid; or (3) who shall have counselled, advised, induced, enticed, persuaded, or conspired with any other, person to make or levy war against. Her Majesty, or to carry arms against. Her Majesty's forces in New Zealand, or to join with or to assist any such persons; as are before mentioned in subsections one and two; or.(4) who, in furtherance or in execution of the designs of, any such persons as aforesaid, shall have been, either as principal or accessory, concerned in any outrage against person or property; or (5) who, on being required by the Governor, by Proclamation to that effect in the Government Gazette, to deliver up the arms in their possession, shall refuse or neglect to comply with such demand after a certain day to be specified in such Proclamation—to come, in and submit to trial according to law on or before the first day of June, one thousand eight hundred, and sixty-five. And I do hereby proclaim and declare that all such persons as shall have been so engaged as aforesaid, who shall refuse or neglect so to come an and submit themselves accordingly, will be debarred from all claim to compensation under the said Act in respect of any title, interest, or claim to any lands within the limits defined in my Proclamation of the twenty-ninth day of December, one thousand eight hundred and sixty-four, and the thirtieth day of January, one thousand eight hundred and sixty-five, and Which are intended to be taken under the provisions of the said Act.

Given under my hand, at the Government House, at Wellington, and issued under the seal [gap — reason: deletion] of the Colony of New Zealand, this first day of April, in the year of our Lord one [gap — reason: deletion] thousand eight hundred and sixty-five.

G. Grey.

By His Excellency's command.

Walter Mantell.