Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Government House, Wellington, 21st October, 1848

Government House, Wellington, 21st October, 1848.

Sir,—

In continuation of my despatch of the 19th instant, I have the honour to inform, your Excellency that, between half-past 11 p.m. on the 19th and 1 a.m. on the 20th, frequent and rather strong shocks succeeded each other in rapid succession, during which time the earth appeared to be in a continual state of agitation under foot. The shocks and the pulsation of the ground then ceased until about 5 a.m., when slight shocks again occurred, and were repeated at intervals during the whole of Friday, but no further damage was done by them; and, although shocks have been experienced occasionally up to the present time (11 a.m., Saturday, the 21st October), I would hope that the worst is over, and that the convulsions of Nature may gradually subside. We are not, however, aware of any eruptions having taken place, or any vent being opened in any direction; though strong lurid lights, seen, in the sky in the evenings, in the north and south, seem to be reflections from the light of some volcano.

Yesterday (Friday, the 20th October) was, in accordance with the intimation given your Excellency in my last despatch, observed as a solemn fast-day, and I am happy to say that it was most reverently observed, persons of all classes and all denominations responding in right feeling and conduct befitting such an occasion, and showing, by the immense assemblages at the various religious observances of the day, that they acknowledged the hand of the Almighty, and looked to Him only for safety and protection.

In consequence of the long continuance of the earthquake, and the uncertainty as to what may be its eventual results, I have deemed it right, under the advice of my Executive Council, to order the detention for a few days of any vessels in harbour which might attempt to leave it, the alarm and apprehension being so great that, if the few ships now here were to sail away, the people would consider themselves as altogether deserted, and without any means of security left them should futures shocks occur and produce greater devastation than already exists. This order, I find, has already exercised a most beneficial influence in keeping up the spirits and confidence of the population. I have also taken the precaution of shipping on board Her Majesty's ship "Fly" the greater part of the specie in the colonial chest until such time as the elements appear more settled. The Commissariat Department have, I believe, also done the same, under the instructions of the Senior Military Officer.

Persons arriving by a vessel leaving Otakou on Wednesday, the 18th, state that no shock had been experienced there up to the time of her sailing. I have no accounts from Whanganui or Nelson, but fear the earthquakes must have been felt severely at both. From Queen. Charlotte Sound an open boat came over, in very stormy weather, for the purpose of bringing away a party of European women who were living there, and were alarmed at the convulsion going on. At Porirua the military barracks are destroyed, and the troops are living in whares. The Natives have no recollection of any earthquakes at all corresponding, in either degree or continuance, to the one which is now visiting us.

I. have. &c.,

E.Eyre.

His Excellency the Governor-in-Chief.