Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

The Governor's Reply

The Governor's Reply.

Gentlemen,—

I have the honour to acknowledge the receipt of your address, and to present my best thanks for the congratulations you offer on the independent position of this colony, over which Her Majesty has done me the honour to appoint me Governor.

You are pleased to express deep regret that any circumstance should have taken place tending to disturb those amicable relations between me and the settlers of Port Nicholson, which, for the honour of the Crown and the interest of the colony, it is desirable to maintain. In this sentiment I most earnestly and cordially concur, and I shall hail with extreme satisfaction any disposition on the part of the settlers to restore that harmony which you very justly observe is so highly essential for the development of the resources of the colony, and which you do mo but justice in believing I am most desirous to cultivate.

Gentlemen, I should hold it to be inexpedient and improper for me to enter into any discussion with you upon suggestions you have thought fit to offer on the future government of this colony. But I hesitate not to assure you that your interests shall not be neglected; that every measure shall be taken in strict accordance with Her Majesty's gracious pleasure, as conveyed to me by Her Majesty's Principal Secretary of State for the Colonies; and that such suggestions as you have already offered in your address, or may hereafter offer, for the benefit of the settlers in the southern districts shall receive due consideration. I have reason to hope that when the arrangements of Government are fully complete many of the inconveniences of which you complain will be found susceptible of easy adjustment; and I will not allow myself to believe that I shall be denied the satisfaction of soon meeting the settlers at Port Nicholson on terms of mutual confidence.

I have, &c.,

W. Hobson.