Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 42. — [Extract from New Zealand Gazetted.]

No. 42.
[Extract from New Zealand Gazetted.]

A Proclamation
Revoking Proclamation of Martial Law in the Province of Taranaki.

By His Excellency Sir G. Grey, Knight Commander of the Most Honourable Order of the Bath, Governor and Commander-in-Chief in and over Her Majesty's Colony of New Zealand and its Dependencies, and Vice-Admiral of the same, &c.

Whereas, by Proclamation bearing date the twenty-fifth day of January, one thousand eight hundred and sixty, His Excellency Colonel Thomas Gore Browne, the Governor of the said Colony of New Zealand, did proclaim and declare that martial law would be exercised throughout the Province of Taranaki from the date of the publication of the said Proclamation within the said province until the relief of the said district from martial law by public Proclamation: And whereas it appears unto me expedient to revoke the said Proclamation:

page 153

Now, therefore, I, Sir George Grey, the Governor as aforesaid of the said colony, in pursuance and exercise of all powers and authorities in this behalf enabling me, do hereby proclaim and declare the aforesaid Proclamation of the twenty-fifth day of January, one thousand eight hundred and sixty, to be, and the same is hereby, revoked. And I do further proclaim and declare that this Proclamation shall take effect on and from the first day of August, one thousand eight hundred and sixty-five.

Given under my hand, at the Government House, at Wellington, and issued under the Seal of the Colony of New Zealand, the first day of July, in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and sixty-five.

G. Grey.

By His Excellency's command.

J. C. Richmond, Colonial Secretary.

God save the Queen!