Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 30. — Copy of Memorandum from Mr. C. W. Richmond to Colonel Gore Browne

No. 30.
Copy of Memorandum from Mr. C. W. Richmond to Colonel Gore Browne.

Insufficiency of Military and Naval Force in New Zealand. New Plymouth, 20th March, 1860.

I have read the letter dated the 17th March, addressed to His Excellency the Governor by the Native Secretary, Mr. McLean, in which that officer urges the necessity of an immediate augmentation of the military force in New Zealand.

The leading promoters of the Maori King movement in Waikato and elsewhere assert the national independence of their race, and oppose the farther extension of European settlement. They sympathize profoundly with armed resistance to the British Government, more especially with armed resistance to the further cession of territory to the Crown.

It has long been manifest that the first attempt to enforce obedience to the Governor's decision on any question affecting Natives might bring the disaffected tribes to the point of open rebellion. Hence the anxious desire so frequently expressed of His Excellency and his Advisers for an increase of the military and naval forces in New Zealand.

An occasion has now arisen on which it has become necessary to support the Governor's authority by a military force. The issue has been carefully chosen, the particular question being as favourable a one of its class as could have been selected. In the absence of a powerful Native party, leagued and organized to oppose the sale of land, it could be easily disposed of. But in the present condition of Native feelings it cannot be doubted that the state of the colony is critical, and British authority is in jeopardy, simply because it has been boldly asserted. I therefore entirely concur in the opinion of the Native Secretary, that the military force in this colony should be forthwith augmented to the greatest extent practicable.

I have, &c.,

C. W. Richmond.

His Excellency the Governor, &c.