Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Copy of a Despatch from Governor Sir George Grey to his Grace the Duke of Newcastle

Copy of a Despatch from Governor Sir George Grey to his Grace the Duke of Newcastle.

Wellington, 26th August, 1862.

My Lord Duke—

I have the honour to transmit, for your Grace's information, the enclosed copy of resolutions which have been passed by the House of Representatives, defining the relations which, in their opinion, should exist between the Governor and his Responsible Advisers regarding Native affairs.

• 2. I have consented to act in the spirit of these resolutions until your Grace's further instructions reach me. I have done this because I know my Ministers, the settlers, and Natives so well that I am satisfied, whatever may be in theory the nature of the relations existing between myself and my Responsible Advisers, the practical result will be the same and that Her Majesty's service will not suffer from any such arrangement as I now transmit,page 85
  • 3. At the same time your Grace will find from my Despatch No. 36, of the 30th November last, that I do not think that the enclosed resolutions establish satisfactory relations between the Governor of this colony and his Responsible Advisers. But I have no doubt that when the difficulties now prevailing have been brought to a close the General Assembly will, if your Grace desires it, assume the entire responsibility-of Native affairs.

I have, &c.,

G. Grey.

His Grace the Duke of Newcastle, K.G., &c.