Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 71. — Copy of a Despatch from. Governor Sir George Grey to his Grace the Duke of Newcastle

No. 71.
Copy of a Despatch from. Governor Sir George Grey to his Grace the Duke of Newcastle.

Governor Grey's Arrival at Auckland. Government House, Auckland, 4th October, 1861

My Lord Duke,—

I have the honour to report to your Grace that I arrived at Auckland upon the 26th ultimo.

• 2 My predecessor, Colonel Gore Browne, was administering the Government at the time of my arrival. I had thus the advantage of receiving his advice and his opinion upon the present state of the country, which he gave me in great detail, with an anxious desire, in as far as possible, to aid me in the discharge of the difficult duties on which I was about to enter.page 74
  • 3. Colonel Browne could not leave the colony until the 2nd instant. On that day he embarked amidst the most lively demonstrations of regard and good-will from the inhabitants of Auckland; and upon the 3rd instant I took the oaths of office, and entered upon the administration of the affairs of this Government.

I have, &c.

G.Grey.

His Grace the Duke of Newcastle, K.G., &c.