Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 69. — Copy, of a Despatch from Governor Gore Beowne to his Grace the Duke of Newcastle

No. 69.
Copy, of a Despatch from Governor Gore Beowne to his Grace the Duke of Newcastle.

Requesting that a Royal Proclamation be sent in reference to the Maori Rebellion. Government House, Auckland, New Zealand, 6th July, 1861

My Lord Duke,—

I have the honour to request that a Royal Proclamation may be sent to me by the earliest opportunity, setting forth the views and ultimate determination of Her Majesty in reference to the insurrection in this colony. I am induced urgently to request that this course may be adopted because it has been industriously circulated, and believed by the Maoris, that I am not acting in accordance with the views and wishes of Her Majesty's Government. It is even believed that the troops have not been sent by Her Majesty's command, but by the Governors of other colonies The Natives have been encouraged to distinguish between her majesty's Imperial Government and the Governor of the colony, and have been taught to regard the former as their only security against injustice and aggression. This pernicious suggestion is openly approved and defended by many of the agitators against my Government Even sir William Martin says that "a temporary estrangement of the native people from the Colonial Government would be followed by a strong and abiding attachment to the Government of England." Under these circumstances I am satisfied that the expression of a distinct opinion by Her Majesty's Government is absolutely necessary to undeceive these misguided people.

Your Grace will observe that in my declaration to the Waikatos I insisted upon the right' to make roads throughout Native districts: not only on account of the evident advantage they will be but because acquiescence in this demand is almost the only material guarantee for future good conduct which the insurgents have it in their power to give. It might also be desirable that the Natives should be informed that those who join the insurgents and take up arms against Her Majesty must in future expect that their offence will be visited by confiscation of land.

I have, &c.,

t.Gore Beowne.

His Grace the Duke of Newcastle, KG., &c.