Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Enclosure. — Copy of a Despatch from Earl Grey to Sir George Grey, Governor-in-Chief

Enclosure.
Copy of a Despatch from Earl Grey to Sir George Grey, Governor-in-Chief.

Auckland.Respecting Memorial of Settlers urging Immediate Introduction of Representative Form of Government.

Sir,—

Downing Street, 5th December, 1849.

I have received your Despatch No. 90, of the 7th July last, enclosing a copy of a memorial addressed to me by 168 inhabitants of the Town of Auckland, containing a statement of grievances against the local Government, and suggesting the immediate introduction of a representative form of government into New Zealand.

Having considered the memorial, I have found in it nothing to impair, the confidence which I feel in your administration of the Government of the colony. The reasons you have assigned in your despatches for delaying for a short period the introduction of representative institutions, with a view of preparing the colony, and especially the Native race, for so important a change in the form of government, appear to me entitled to the greatest weight.

The extraordinary progress which New Zealand has made in prosperity, the tranquillity which has been successfully maintained, and the progressive civilization of the Natives, afford the best proof of the wisdom of the policy you have pursued, and the most complete answer to the statements of the memorialists; and, when I consider the condition in which you found the colony at the period when you assumed the government, the difficulties with which you have had to contend, and its present state, there can in my judgment be no doubt of your title to the respect and gratitude of the inhabitants, whether of Native or of European race.

I have &c;

Governor Sir George Grey. Grey.