Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 41. — Extract from a. (Confidential) Despatch from Governor Grey to Earl Grey

No. 41.
Extract from a. (Confidential) Despatch from Governor Grey to Earl Grey.

Auckland.New Zealand proposed to be divided into Two. Colonies. Government House, Auckland, 13th May, 1847.

I think that perhaps, until this country is a little more settled down, your Lordship's views with regard to the government of it might be fully met if it were, as proposed, divided into two colonies with such a general executive Government, and executive Government for each colony, as is now provided for in the recent charter and instructions; whilst for the present the legislative body of each colony should consist of one Chamber, composed of the Governor and official and unofficial members, the latter of whom might in the southern colony be at once elected by the people. The General Assembly might then in like manner consist of one Chamber composed of all the members of the Legislative Council of each colony, and its meetings, mode of proceeding, &c., might all be conducted in the manner which is proposed. If your Lordship should, under the disturbed circumstances of the colony, think proper to send out modified instructions to this or some similar purport, they would yet reach me in sufficient time.

I feel very great diffidence in making such suggestions to your Lordship; but at the present moment the great mass of the Native population is on our side, as the fact of their seizing the murderers at Whanganui and giving them up to justice fully shows, and I think, if nothing occurs now to alarm the Natives, that after two or three more years of peace and tranquillity the colony may be regarded as quite safe, and the lives and properties of the settlers would be in a state of complete security; whilst upon the other hand I cannot but view with the greatest alarm and anxiety the possibility of the frequent and extended recurrence of such scenes as that which recently took place at Whanganui.

Until your Lordship's further instructions reach me, I will proceed, as rapidly as is practicable, with the adjustment of all those difficulties which have arisen from the penny-an-acre Proclamation, and from the extended grants of land. I will also introduce, in the most conciliatory manner, all those portions of the new form of government which confer real and lasting advantages upon this country of the most undoubted and obvious kind, such as the division of the colony, &c.; so that, even in the event of your Lordship determining upon the immediate and complete introduction of the whole of the proposed new form of Constitution, every preparation in my power shall be made for such a measure, and it is certain that, after so many difficulties have been removed, the country will be in a much better state for such an experiment than it is at present.

I have &c;

G. Grey.

The Right Hon. Earl Grey, &c.