Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 17. — Copy of a Despatch from Lord John RusselL to Lieutenant-Governor Hobson

No. 17.
Copy of a Despatch from Lord John RusselL to Lieutenant-Governor Hobson.

Bay of Islands,Approval of the Governor's Proceedings in reference to the Treaty of Waitangi.

Sir,—

Downing Street, 10th December 1840.

I have received your despatch of the 25th May last, reporting your proceedings up to that date, and enclosing copies of three Proclamations which you had issued: the first two for the purpose of asserting the sovereignty of the Queen over the Islands of New Zealand, and the third for the purpose of checking the illegal proceedings of parties who were endeavouring to establish a separate authority. I have given due publicity to the two first-mentioned Proclamations in the London Gazette. As far as it has been possible to form a judgment, your proceedings appear to have entitled you to the entire approbation of Her Majesty's Government.

I shall soon be able to transmit to you Letters Patent under the Great Seal, constituting New Zealand a separate Government, together with your Commission as first Governor, and the Royal Instructions for your guidance in administering the affairs of your Government. I trust that your health will continue to improve, and will enable you to remain in the discharge of the important duties which are intrusted to you.

I have, &c.,

J. Russell.