Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Sub-Enclosure. — Captain W. C. Symonds to the Rev John Awhiteney

Sub-Enclosure.
Captain W. C. Symonds to the Rev John Awhiteney

Sir,—

Waikato heads 8th April 1840

His Excellency the Lieutenant-Governor having deputed me to obtain the adherence of as many of the principal chiefs of the western coast of this Island to the Treaty of Waitangi as may be induced to affix their names to a signed copy of that Treaty which was furnished me, I have the honour to request; your assistance in Kawhia, and the country about toward that end. The exertions of the Rev R. Maunsell have saved me the trouble of a journey further into the Waikato country and his success in obtaining signatures has been such I have been induced, to forego a visit. I had proposed to Kawhia but; few of the principal chiefs remaining to be gained over. I beg to consign to your charge and copy of the Treaty; and to request that you will take trouble to obtain the cession of their sovereign rights to Her Majesty from as many of the chief as you may deem sufficient, stretching far to" the southward as possible among the Ngatimaniapoto. To Ngolli, Pakaru, Warahi; and'Kirihi,' from your neighbourhood, have given their signatures; and I believe that if Taonui Tarihi, Te Waru, Te Ao, To Wakaka, from Kawhia, and Wiremu and Rawiri from "Whaingaron, be obtained, they will suffice to extend Her Majesty's 'authority as far south as Mokau. I beg however that you will be guided by your own judgment, and let all the principal chiefs sign who way wish to give over their country to British protection. Notice of presents given by the Governor to those who signed at Waitangi and Hauraki had preceded me, and many have reached Kawhia every one who has any pretensions to being a chief will flock to sign his name for the sake of obtaining a blanket; consequently it is of the greatest importance that the nature of the cession of rights should be "perfectly explained,-that those chiefs only should be chosen of the greatest authority, and that it should be explained to them that the gifts made to them have in nowise the nature of a bribe or payment for their concurrence. Blankets will be forwarded to you, to be given to those who subscribe their names, page 28and I request you will distribute them, one to each chief, after signature. If you will have the goodness to return the copy of the Treaty to me at Manukau, I will put it in the proper channel to reach His Excellency the Governor.

I have, &c.,

William C. Symonds.

The Rev. John Whiteley, Minister, Wesleyan Mission.