Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

(No. 3.) — Major Bunbury to His Excellency the Governor

(No. 3.)
Major Bunbury to His Excellency the Governor.

H.M.S. "Herald," Coromandel Harbour, 6th May, 1840.

Sir,—

I avail myself of the opportunity afforded by the expected departure of a vessel this morning for the Bay of Islands to report to your Excellency our proceedings since Her Majesty's ship "Herald" sailed from the outer harbour of the Bay of Islands, on the morning, of the 29th ultimo. The following day, the ship having anchored at Coromandel Harbour, Mr. Williams and myself went on shore at Mr. Webster's establishment, in order to arrange means for securing the attendance of the Native chiefs and fix a day for them to sign the Treaty. A Native was also; despatched overland to Mercury Bay, with letters from Captain Nias and myself o Mr. Stewart, requesting him to pilot the "Herald," and to notify to the Native chiefs at Mercury Bay, our object in visiting the coast, and to request their attendance with himself at Mr. Webster's establishment on Monday, the 4th instant, that day having been fixed upon for the assembling of the Natives. Mr. Stewart's answer I herewith enclose.

On the day appointed Captain Nias with several officers of Her Majesty's ship, together with Mr Williams and myself, went on shore about 11 o'clock; but no Native chiefs had at that hour page 26assembled. A considerable number of Europeans appear however, to have been attracted by the report of the expected meeting. Subsequently a number of Natives did assemble with six chiefs of different tribes, and, after a variety of objections on their part, we succeeded in obtaining the signatures of four one of these being the principal chief of the district the celebrated Horeta of Barrier. Island notoriety. The Principal orator, an old chief named Pike, and another of inferior note refused to sign alleging as a reason that they wanted more time to assemble the different tribes of the Thames District, and to consult with them when they would also sign—but that he could for himself see no necessity in placing himself under the common of any prince or Queen, who might govern the white men if she pleased, as he was desirous of containing to govern his own tribe. It was evident they had heard of the occurrences at the Bay respecting the murder of an Englishman by a Native, and, although he did not complain of the injustice of the proceedings, it was evident they had some weight with him, and that he had been tutored by some Europeans. Mr. Williams explained the Treaty its object in consequence of the increasing influence of strangers and that the claim of pre-emption on the part of Her Majesty was intended to check their imprudently selling their lands without sufficiently benefiting themselves, or obtaining a fair equivalent. It was to me very apparent also that a trifling present was expected in payment for his adhesion but in their exalted idea of the Queen's munificence, they at first all refused the present of a blanket, which was offered after their signatures had been obtained, and which I wished them to consider was a gift personally from myself.

It is, I conceive, much to be regretted that objects of ordinary traffic between Natives and Europeans should have been selected as presents for the tribes on the coast: and I fear, therefore, that the blankets, pipes, and tobacco with which I have been furnished most only be employed in payment for messengers, &c sent with letters to the different tribes. Forage-caps and scarlet or blue cloaks "would have been highly appreciated At a bivonac of Natives which I visited I observed no less than six double-barrelled guns outside one of their huts, and those which I examined appeared to be in excellent order and of a very superior quality. Mr. Preece, of the Church. Missions whom I saw yesterday, having told me that a number of infinential chiefs were near his station, I have requested Mr. Williams to write to each of them a copy of my communication, which with its translation. I herewith enclose, as it will explain the objects I have in view. I ordered a dinner to be prepared-consisting of fresh pork and potatoes, for the Natives who assembled on Monday: and I have further, at the recommendation of Captain Nias, chartered the schooner of Mr. Bateman, to convey me to Tanranga and Opotiki, on the same terms as when engaged by your Excellency for a similar object, prior to her being driven on shore in this harbour. The expense attending this arraagement being unavoidable, it will. I trust, meet with your Excellency's approval. Captain Bateman has hitherto been of great service to us, from his knowledge of the coast, and Captain Nias speaks of his intelligence as a volunteer pilot in the highest terms.

I have, &c.,

T. H. Buxbury.
Major, 50th Regiment

His Excellency Captain Hobson, R.N, Lieutenant-Governor, &c.