Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

(No. 8.) — The Rev. Henry Williams to His Excellency the Goyernor

(No. 8.)
The Rev. Henry Williams to His Excellency the Goyernor.

Sir,—

Paihia, 11th June, 1840.

I have much pleasure in forwarding to your Excellency the Treaty committed to my care for the signatures of the chiefs in Cook Straits.

On my arrival at Port Nicholson, I experienced some opposition from the influence of Europeans at that place, and it was not until after the expiration of ten days that the chiefs were disposed to come forward, when they unanimously signed the Treaty. The chiefs of Queen Charlotte Sound and Rangitoto, in the neighbourhood of Port Hardy, on the south side of the Straits, as also those chiefs on the north side of the Straits with whom I communicated, as far as Whanganui, signed the Treaty with much satisfaction, and appeared much gratified that a check was put to the importunities of the Europeans to the purchase of their lands, and that protection was now afforded to them in common with Her Majesty's subjects.

It had been my intention to have proceeded to Cloudy Bay, Banks Peninsula, and Otako, whereby the signatures of the whole of the tribes of the Southern Island would have been obtained, for which purpose I felt it important to prolong the charter of the schooner "Ariel" in the service of the page 30Government; but upon ray return from Whanganui to Kapiti I received intelligence that Her Majesty's ship "Herald "had left the Bay of Islands for the Southern Island, and that an officer had been appointed to proceed with a copy of the Treaty. I therefore concluded to return to the Bay of Islands.

I have much satisfaction in stating to your Excellency that Captain Clayton rendered me every assistance in his power, and upon my application to him at Port Nicholson to convey me to Otako, &c., he unhesitatingly gave up his vessel for the service of the Government, though to the serious detriment of his private business on the coast.

I have, &c.,

Henry Williams.

Captain Hobson, R.N.,
Lieutenant-Governor of New Zealands