Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

Copy of a Despatch from the Officer Administering the Government of New Zealand to the Right Hon. the Earl of Kimberley

Copy of a Despatch from the Officer Administering the Government of New Zealand to the Right Hon. the Earl of Kimberley.

Government House, Wellington, N.Z., 10th April, 1873.

My Lord,—

I have the honour to inform your Lordship that I left Auckland, viâ the port of Onehunga, for this, the seat of Government, on Monday morning, the 31st ultimo, per p.s. "Luna," accompanied by the Hon. Mr. Vogel (Colonial Treasurer) and the Hon. Mr. McLean (Native Minister). On the evening of that day we were driven by stress of weather to take shelter under a projecting headland called Albatross Point. On the following morning, it being evident that a heavy and confused sea was still running outside, it was not deemed prudent to put the "Luna" to sea; and as our anchorage lay near to the Harbour of Kawhia we weighed anchor, crossed the bar, and entered that port. This unexpected visit led to interviews with the Natives who inhabit the shores of the harbour, including several influential chiefs—among them the chief Tapihana and Tu Tawhiao, the eldest son of Tawhiao, known as the Maori King.

• 2. The Hon. the Native Minister has sent me a memorandum narrating the leading incidents which occurred at those interviews, which memorandum I beg to enclose, for your Lordship's information.
  • 3. In so doing, I desire to convey to your Lordship my appreciation of the tact and discretion evinced by Mr. McLean on that occasion. While a proper firmness was shown in discouraging all unreasonable expectations in the Natives, the utmost care was taken that no act should be done or expression uttered which could awaken suspicion or wound their smallest susceptibility. And if beneficial results should arise out of our visit to Kawhia, and our interesting interview with the young chief Tu Tawhiao, I shall attribute those results in no small degree to the personal influence of the Native Minister, and to the judicious manner in which that influence was applied.

I have, &c.,

G. A.Arney.

The Right Hon. the Earl of Kimberley.