Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

An Epitome of Official Documents Relative to Native Affairs and Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand

No. 104. — Copy of a Despatch from the Right Hon. the Earl of Kimberley to Governor Sir G. F. Bowen

No. 104.
Copy of a Despatch from the Right Hon. the Earl of Kimberley to Governor Sir G. F. Bowen

Concerning Death of Chief Tamati Waka Nene. Downing Street, 15th November, 1871.

Sir,—

I have received and have laid before the Queen your Despatch No. 72, of the 23rd of August, reporting the death of Tamati Waka Nene, the principal chief of the great clan of the Ngapuhis. Her Majesty desires me to convey to you the expression of the regret with which she has heard of the death of this distinguished chief, who was so loyally attached to Her Majesty, and who exerted himself on all occasions to promote that good understanding between the two races so essential to the welfare and prosperity of both. It is the Queen's desire that an expression of Her Majesty's sympathy in their loss should be conveyed to his widow and to the clan to which he belonged.

I have, &c;

Governor Sir G. F. Bowen, G.C.M.G.Kimberley.