Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume Two

Translation

Translation.

Auckland, 31st December, 1856.
1856. 31 December.Ruahine.Received by me this day for the lands of my family at Ruahine the sum of One(Te Hapuku's claims) Hundred Pounds (£100) being a first instalment for certain lands the final arrangementsReceipt for £100. for which I will properly negotiate with Mr. Cooper.
1.Boundaries. The first portion. At Taangarewa thence to Ruahine till it reaches the European boundary thence to Mangatawai. For this piece Ten Pounds (£10).
2.The second portion. Te Whiri at Pukerangiora thence to Pukehou thence to te Mauku to te Iringa to te Puke where it turns to te Kohukohu to Whakarau to te Paewae to Puponga thence to Pukerangiora. Ten Pounds (£10) for this.
3.The third portion of land is at Pukemanuka. Tea Pounds (£10) for the lands I give up in this place.
4.The piece spoken of by Hoani Waikato in his letter. The boundaries are Tukituki thence to te Apiti thence to the confluence of Kawatau and Tukituki and in the Kawatau to Ruahine thence by the outer end of Tukituki and on to te Papakura o Taangaroa thence te Kaimatangi thence to the entrance of Ngatakiaho thence to Pahu's house thence to Ngatawhara and on to te Niho thence to the source of the Tukituki and on to Ruahine. Two of the pieces named in the said letter of Hoani Waikato shall be joined to the one the boundaries of which have been recapitulated. Twenty Pounds (£20) for this.

I have also received Fifty Pounds (£50) which I will repay out of new Land Sales in Heretaunga.

te Hapuka Ika o te Moana x.

Witness to this signature and to the payment of these monies—

Aihipene.
Rori.
Kaho.
G. S. Cooper, Dist. Commr.

A True Copy of Original Receipt and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, February 19th, 1876.