Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume Two

[untitled]

Declaration of James Grindell.I, James Grindell, late of Napier, in the Province of Hawke's Bay, now of Wellington, in the Province of Wellington, in the Colony of New Zealand, a Licensed Native Interpreter, do hereby solemnly and sincerely declare,—

1st. That I am a duly licensed Native Interpreter under "The Native Lands Act, 1867."

2nd. That I was present on the sixteenth day of August, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-one (16th August, 1871), when the within-named Urapane Pakaha, page 567Horomona Papanui, Eraihia te Mako, Watene te Mango, Ropata te Hoakakari, Pine Patoromu, Waione Pungaorangi, Kirita Tauke, Hori Hukahuka, Erueti Tanguru, Nepe Apatu, Porikapa Tamaihotua, Tipene Apatu, Pani Tohare, Ripata Moruki, Reweti Hukahuka, Hori Tawhai, Iriwaata Hanita, Wehi Peihaua, Herewini Tarnihana, Heketa te Awe, Herewini te Whareraupo, Tanguru Tuhua, Maka Mukakai, Hiraka Tuhua, Manahi Paewai, Pine Hakopa, Patoromu te Kaka, Nireaha Matiu, Karauria Matuakainga, Horima Mutuahi, Matenga Kurukore, Matenga, Te Hapuku, Karaitiana Takamoana, Huru te Hiaro, Hoani Meihana te Raugiotu, Hanita te Awe Awe, and Peeti te Awe Awe, all aboriginal natives of New Zealand, duly executed the within-written Deed and the translation thereof marked A, and before they executed the same I faithfully translated and explained the said Deed to them, and they appeared to perfectly understand the purport thereof, and executed the same in my presence and in the presence of Alexander Grant, of Burnside, in the Province of Hawke's Bay, Sheep-farmer, and Thomas Scully, oil Napier, in the said province, Inspector of Police, two adult Europeans.

3rd. That the within translation of the said Deed marked A is a true and correct translation thereof.

4th. That I was present on the seventeenth day of August, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-one (17th August, 1871), when the within-named Kerei Tanguru, an aboriginal native of New Zealand, duly executed the within Deed and the translation thereof marked A, and before he executed the same I faithfully translated and explained the said Deed to him, and he appeared to perfectly understand the purport thereof, and executed the same in my presence and in the presence of Alexander Grant, of Burnside, in the Province of Hawke's Bay, Sheep Farmer, and Thomas Skully, of Napier, in the said province, Inspector of Police, two adult Europeans.

5th. That I was present on the twenty-first day of August, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-one (21st August, 1871), when the within-named Matiria Waikura, Hataraka, Maata te Pare, Oriwia te Hori, and Hoani Tohu, all aboriginal natives of New Zealand, duly executed the within-written Deed and the translation thereof marked A, and before they executed the same I faithfully translated and explained the said Deed to them, and they appeared to perfectly understand the purport thereof, and executed the same in my presence and in the presence of Robert Moffit, of Waipawa, of Hawke's Bay, Corporal of Police, an adult European.

6th. That I was present on the twenty-third day of August, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-one (23rd August, 1871), when the within-named Hohepa Paewai, Rititia Hinepaia, Paraone Ngatata, Atereta Pakukai, Erina Porapora, Karaitiana to Korou, Marakaia Tawaroa, Ataneta te Wharekiri, Hamuera Pakaiahi, Ihaia te Ngarara, Ihipera te Wharekiri, Kaninamu te Hauerangi, and Wirihana Kaimokopuna, all aboriginal natives of New Zealand, duly executed the within-written Deed and the translation thereof marked A, and before they executed the same I faithfully translated and explained the said Deed to them, and they appeared, to perfectly understand the purport thereof, and executed the same in my presence and in the presence of Robert Moffit, of Waipawa, in the Province of Hawke's Bay, Corporal of police, an adult European.

7th. That I was present on the twenty-sixth day of August, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-one (26th August, 1871), when the within-named Ihaka to Awe Awe and Tungane, aboriginal natives of New Zealand, duly executed the within-written Deed and the translation thereof marked A, and before they executed the same I faithfully translated and explained the said Deed to them, and they appeared to perfectly understand the purport thereof, and executed the same in my presence and in the presence of Robert Moffit, of Waipawa, in the Province of Hawke's Bay, Corporal of Police, an adult European.

8th. That I was present on the first day of September, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-one (1st September, 1871), when the within-named Tutere Tiweta, an aboriginal native of New Zealand, duly executed the within-written Deed and the translation thereof marked A, and before he executed the same I faithfully translated and explained the said Deed to him, and be appeared to perfectly understand the purport thereof, and executed the same in my presence and in the presence of Robert Moffit, of Waipawa, in the Province of Hawke's Bay, Corporal of Police, an adult European.

9th. That I was present on the fourth day of September, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-one (4th September, 1871), when the within-named Hoani Ngaihi, an aboriginal native of New Zealand, duly executed the with in-written Deed and the translation thereof marked A, and before he executed the same I faithfully translated and explained the said Deed to him, and he appeared to perfectly understand the purport thereof, and executed the same in my presence and in the presence of Robert Moffit, of Waipawa, in the Province of Hawke's Bay, Corporal of Police, an adult European.

And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, under and by virtue of the provisions of "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866," and "The Native Lands Act, 1867."

James Grindell.

Declared at Wellington this fourth day of March, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-two. Before me—

G. S. Cooper, J.P.