Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume Two

[Deeds—No. 205.]

Deeds—No. 205.

Muhunoa No. 4 Block, Otaki District.

This Deed, made the ninth day of February, 1875, between Her Majesty Queen1875. 9 February.Otaki District. Victoria on the one part; and Roera Hukiki, Henare Roera, Tamihana Te Rauparaha,Muhunoa No. 4. Hare Wirikake, Paranihia Whawha, Kararaina Whawha, Kipa te Whatanui, Mereana Patukino, Hoani Kuiti and Kiniwe Roera of Otaki in the Province of Wellington, Aboriginal Natives of the Colony of New Zealand, (hereinafter called "the Vendors") of the other part, witnesseth that, in consideration of the sum of Four hundred and seventy two pounds Ten shillings by Her Majesty paid to the Vendors on the execution hereof (and the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged), the Vendors do, and each ofReceipt for £472 . 10 . 0. them doth, hereby surrender, convey, and assure unto Her said Majesty, all that block or parcel of land containing Three thousand six hundred acres or thereabouts, known or called Muhunoa No. 4, as the same is more particularly described in the Schedule hereto, and delineated on the plan drawn on this Deed and coloured red; together with all rights and appurtenances thereto belonging or appertaining: Excepting thereout aReserver for Paranihia and Kipa. [100 acres.] Reserve of one hundred acres for Paranihia Whawha and Kipa Whatanui aforesaid to the Western end of the said Block as the same is delineated by the plan edged green hereon, the outer boundaries of said Reserve to be surveyed by the Government. To hold the said land and premises with the appurtenances unto Her said Majesty, Her Heirs and Successors, for ever. In Witness whereof the Vendors have hereunto set their hands the day and year first above written.

Roera Hukiki.
Henare Roera.
Tamihana Te Rauparaha.
Hare Wirikake.
Paranihia Whawha x her mark.
Kararaina Whawha x her mark.
Kipa te Whatanui.
Mereana Patukino x her mark.
Hoani Kuiti.
Kiniwe Roera.

Signed by the said Roera Hukiki, Henare Roera, Tamihana Te Rauparaha, Hare Wirikake, Paranihia Whawha by mark, Kararaina Whawha by mark, Kipa te Whatanui, Mereana Patukino by mark, Hoani Kuiti, and Kiniwe Roera (the words "Thereabout a Reserve of" in the twelfth line from the top of these presents having been previously interlined) and the same having been first read over to the said Vendors in the page 420Maori language by an Interpreter of the Court and when they appeared fully to understand the meaning and purport thereof in the presence of—

James Booth, R.M.
Richard Booth.

Schedule.

Boundaries. [3,600 acres.]Bounded towards the North by the Horowhenua Block towards the East by Crown land towards the South by the Muhunoa No. 2 Block and towards the West by the Muhunoa No. 1 and Muhunoa No. 3 Blocks.

Statement in the Maori Language of the Contents of the within-written Deed of Conveyance. Dated 9th day of February, 1876.

Maori précis.He Pukapuka tenei i tuhituhia i te 9 o nga ra o Pepuere (1875) Kotahi mano e waru rau e whitu tekau ma rima. Hei tohu kua hokona rawa atu e te hunga e mau nei o ratou ingoa i roto i te pukapuka reo pakeha i tua nei ki a Kuini Wikitoria me ona uri me ana ranei e whakarere iho ai Tera whenua katoa e (3600) toru mano e ono rau nga eka hira ake iti iho ranei Ko te ingoa o te whenua ko Muhunoa No. 4 kua oti te ta o tena ahua ki te mapi kei tua o mau ana Engari haunga ia te pito ki te Hauauru Kotahi rau nga eka kua kapea ki waho hei Rahui, hei Porohita ma Paranihia Whawha raua ko Kipa Te Whatanui. Ko nga rohe koia tenei o Muhunoa No. 4. Ki te taha ki te Raki ko Horowhenua Poraka ki te taha ki te Marangai he whenua na Te Kuini, ki te taha ki te Tonga ko Muhunoa No. 2, a ki te taha ki te Hauauru ko Muhunoa No. 1 raua ko Muhunoa No. 3. Ko nga moni i hoatu hei utu mo tenei whenua e £472 . 10 . 0.

L. M. Grace,

Licensed Interpreter under Native Lands Act, 1873.

Native Lands Act, 1865, and Native Lands Act, 1869. District of Otaki, Province of Wellington, Muhunoa No. 4 Block.

1874. 16 April.Certificate of title ordered.Ata sitting of the Native Land Court of New Zealand, held at Otaki in the said District, on the 16th day of April 1874, before John Rogan Esquire, Judge, and Enoka Te Whanake, Assessor. It was ordered that a Certificate of the Title of Roera Hukiki, Tamehana Te Rauparaha, Paranihia Wha Wha, Kipa Te Whatanui h.c., Hoani Kuiti, Kiniwe Roera, Henare Roera, Hare Wirikake, Kararaina Wha Wha, Mereana Patukino Aboriginal Natives, to a parcel of land at Muhunoa District aforesaid containing by estimation three thousand six hundred (3600) acres and known by the name of Muhunoa No. 4, be made and issued to the Governor, when the parties shall furnish a proper survey thereof; and that whenever the said land is granted by the Crown the legal estate therein shall be made to vest in the Grantees on the sixteenth day of April 1874. Witness the hand of John Rogan Esquire, Judge, and the Seal of the Court, the 16th day of April, 1874.

(Signed) J. Rogan,
Judge.

True Copy.

Edwin Woon.

Native Lands Act, 1865, and Native Lands Act, 1867. District of Otaki, Province of Wellington, Muhunoa No. 4 Block.

1874. 16 April.Land to be alienable.Ata sitting of the Native Land Court of New Zealand, held at Otaki in the said District on the 16th day of April 1874, before John Rogan, Esquire, Judge, and Enoka Te Whanake, Assessor. Upon hearing the parties, and upon evidence taken, it was ordered that the presiding Judge do report the opinion of the Court, that it is not proper to place any restriction on the alienability of a Parcel of Land at Muhunoa in the District aforesaid, containing by estimation Three thousand six hundred (3600) acres and known by the name of Muhunoa No. 4 or of any part thereof, or to attach any condition to the estate to be granted. Witness the hand of John Rogan Esquire, Judge, and the Seal of the Court, the 16th day of April, 1874.

(Signed) J. Rogan,
Presiding Judge.

True Copy.

Edwin Woon.

Trust Commissioner's certificate. I, Charles Heaphy, the Trust Commissioner under "The Native Lands Frauds Prevention Act, 1870," for the District of Wellington, do hereby certify that I have, with respect to the within-written instruments and the alienation thereby witnessed, made the enquiries directed by the said Act, and do certify that I am satisfied with the result of such enquiries. Dated this 11th day of July, 1876.

Charles Heaphy,
Trust Commissioner.

No. 24,694.

Registration. Received 12 noon, Thursday, 27th July, 1876.

(l.s.)

John E. Smith,
Registrar of Deeds.

Recorded 39 Deeds fo. 874.
Index 28 vol., fo. 177.
Fo. fees, £1 . 0 . 0.

A True Copy of Original Deed, Maori Précis, Judge's Orders, Certificate, and Registration.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington,September 15th, 1877.