Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume Two

[Deeds—No. 176.]

Deeds—No. 176.

Te Kohutu Block, Wairarapa District.

[i roto i te reo Māori]

Tenei Pukapuka i tuhituhia i tenei i te tekau ma ono o nga ra o Mei i te tau o to tatou1863. 16 May.Wairarapa District. Ariki 1863 he Pukapuka tino hoko tino hoatu tino tuku whakaoti atu na matou na nga Rangatira me nga Tangata o Ngatikahungunu no ratou nga ingoa e mau i raro nei a heiTe Kohutu. whakaatu tenei Pukapuka mo matou mo o matou whanaunga me o matou uri mo te tuhituhinga o o matou ingoa ki tenei Pukapuka i raro i te ra e whiti nei kua whakarerea rawatia kua tino tukuna rawatia atu ki a Wikitoria Kuini o Ingarani ki ona uri ki nga Kingi ki nga Kuini o muri iho i a ia me ana me a ratou e whakarite ai hei whakaritenga mo nga Pauna moni tekau ma rima pauna kua utua mai ki a matou e Te Petetone Kaihoko whenua na te Kuini (a e whakaaetia nei e matou te rironga mai o aua moni) ko taua wahi whenua katoa kei Wairarapa ko Te Kohutu te ingoa o taua wahi whenua ko nga rohe kei raro i te Pukapuka nei e mau ana te korero whakahaere ko te mapi hoki o taua whenua kua apititia ki tenei Me ona rakau me ona kowhatu me ona wai me ona page 374awa nui me ona roto me ona awa ririki me nga mea katoa o taua whenua o runga ranei o raro ranei i te mata o taua whenua me o matou tikanga me o matou take me o matou paanga katoatanga ki taua wahi; Kia mau tonu ki a Kuini Wikitoria ki ona uri ki ana ranei e whakarite ai hei tino mau tonu ake tonu atu A hei tohu mo to matou whakaaetanga ki nga tikanga katoa o tenei Pukapuka kua tuhituhia nei o matou ingoa me o matou tohu. A hei tohu hoki mo te whakaaetanga o te Kuini o Ingarani mo tana wahi ki nga tikanga katoa o tenei Pukapuka kua tuhituhia nei te ingoa o Te Petetone Kai hoko Kaiwhakarite Whenua. Ko nga rohe enei o taua whenua. Ko te rohe ki te Tuaraki he huanui Kuini te rohe mai i te whenua nei i nga pamu iti o Mahitaone. Te rohe ki te wa Hauraro ma Rawhiti ko te awa o Makaura. Te rohe ki te Tonga Rawhiti he whenua na te Maori. Ki te wa ki te Tonga ma Hauauru ko te Awa Kuripuni.

Ko te Ahua o te whenua kei te taha o te pukapuka tuku whenua nei e mau ana ka kitea i reira nga rohe nei.

Karaitiana Korou.
Erihapeti Whakamaire.

Ko nga tangata i kite i to tuhinga o nga ingoa—

Hemi Hemara, Kaiwhakamaori.

Receipt for £15. Kua riro mai ki a matou i tenei ra i te Tekau ma ono o nga ra o Mei i te tau o to tatou Ariki Kotahi mano e waru rau e ono tekau ma toru (1863) nga pauna moni Tekau ma rima (£15) ko te utu tonu tenei kua whakahuatia ki te Pukapuka tuku e mau i runga ake nei kia utua mai ki a matou e Te Petetone kai hoko whenua na te Kuini.

Nga kai-titiro—

(Sd.) Ko Ihaia Whakamairu.
(Sd.) S. Deighton.

[ko te tohutoro i roto i te reo Māori]

Translation.

1863. 16 May.Wairarapa District. This Deed written on this sixteenth day of May in the year of our Lord 1863 is a full and final sale conveyance and surrender by us the Chiefs and People of the Tribe Ngatikahungunu whose names are hereunto subscribed And Witnesseth that on behalf of ourselves our relatives and descendants we have by signing this Deed under the shiningTe Kohutu. sun of this day parted with and for ever transferred unto Victoria Queen of England Her Heirs the Kings and Queens who may succeed Her and Her and Their Assigns for ever in consideration of the sum of Fifteen Pounds (£15) to us paid by Isaac Earl Featherston Land P.C. on behalf of the Queen Victoria (and we hereby acknowledge the receipt of the said monies) all that piece of our land situated at Wairarapa and named Te Kohutu the boundaries whereof are set forth at the foot of this deed and a plan of which land is annexed thereto with its trees minerals waters rivers lakes streams and all appertaining to the said land or beneath the surface of the said land and all our right title claim and interest whatsoever thereon to Hold to Queen Victoria Her Heirs and Assigns as a lasting possession absolutely for ever and ever And in testimony of our consent to all the conditions of this Deed we have hereunto subscribed our names and marks. And in testimony of the consent of the Queen of England on her part to all the conditions of this Deed the name of I. E. Featherston LandBoundaries. [62a. 3r. 20p.] Purchase Commissioner is hereunto subscribed. These are the boundaries of the land Bounded towards the North West by a Public road separating it from the Masterton small farm reserve. Towards the North East by the Makaura Stream Towards the South East by Native Land Towards the South West by the Kuripuni Stream.

As the same is more particularly delineated on the plan upon the margin of this deed.

I. E. Featherston,
Land Purchase Commissioner.

Witness to the signature of I. E. Featherston

John Knowles.
Karaitiana Korou.
Erihapeti Whakamaire.

Witness to the signatures—

James Hamlin, Interpreter.

Receipt for £15. Received this Sixteenth day of May in the year of Our Lord One thousand eight hundred and sixty three (1863) the sum of Fifteen pounds sterling (£15) being the consideration money expressed in the above written deed to be paid by I. E. Featherston on behalf of Her Majesty the Queen to us.

Witnesses to payment—

(Sgd.) Ko Ihaia Te Whakamairu.
" S. Deighton.

G. F. Bowen, Governor.

To all to whom these presents shall come Greeting.
1868. 29 June.Governor's consent. Whereas by "the Constitution Act" it was enacted that no Conveyance or transfer or agreement for the conveyance or transfer of any land of or belonging to or used or occupied by the Aboriginal Natives of the Colony in common as Tribes or communities and no release or extinguishment of the rights of such land should be of any validity or page 375effect unless the same should be made or entered into with and accepted by Her Majesty Her Heirs or Successors Provided always that it should be lawful for Her Majesty Her Heirs and Successors by instructions under the signet and Royal Sign Manual to delegate her powers of accepting such conveyances or agreements releases or relinquishments to the Governor of New Zealand. And whereas by instructions under the Signet and Royal Sign Manual bearing date the 14th day of November 1867 Her Most Gracious Majesty the Queen did delegate to Sir George Ferguson Bowen the Governor of New Zealand all and every the said recited powers.

Now therefore I Sir George Ferguson Bowen the Governor of the Colony of New Zealand in pursuance and in exercise of the powers so delegated and vested in me as aforesaid Do hereby accept the conveyance within contained of the Block piece or parcel of land in the said conveyance within written particularly described Given under the hand of His Excellency Sir George Ferguson Bowen Knight Grand Cross of the Most Distinguished order of Saint Michael and Saint George Governor and Commander-in- Chief in and over Her Majesty's Colony of New Zealand and its Dependencies and Vice Admiral of the same at the Government House at Wellington this Twenty ninth day of our Lord, One Thousand eight hundred and sixty eight.

A True Copy of Original Deed, Translation, and Governor's Acceptance.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, January 12th, 1876.