Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume Two

[Deeds—No. 140.]

Deeds—No. 140.

Aranga Te Kura Block, Wairarapa District.

1856. 18 January.Wairarapa District.Tenei Pukapuka e tuhituhia nei i tenei ra tekau ma waru 18 o nga ra o Hanuere i te tau o to tatou Ariki 1856 He pukapuka tino hoko pono na matou ki a Wikitoria te Kuini o Ingarini i tetahi wahi o to matou Kainga ki Ruamahanga, ko Aranga te KuraAranca Te Kura. tona ingoa nui mo nga hereni e toru mo roto i te eka kotahi E wha pea rau o nga ekaReceipt for £60. o taua wahi ki te ruritanga ka tino kitea ona tikanga te itinga ranei te rahinga ranei ka iti ka hold ano nga utu ki te ritenga o nga hereni e toru—ka rahi ko nga utu me whakapiki ano ki te ritenga o nga hereni e toru mo te eka Ko nga utu kua riro mai ki aBoundaries. matou i tenei ra mo taua whenua E ono tekau £60 pauna moni. Nga rohe o te whenua ka timata ki te Rakau o Tamaru ka rere ki uta i runga i te rohe o te Kuini mau rawa atu ko nga Koau ka rere i roto o nga Koau ko Hatuapopoti mau rawa atu ko Te Totara ka rere i uta mau rawa atu ko Te Koparoa ka makere i roto o Ruamahanga mau rawa atu ko Te Para mau rawa atu i roto o Ruamahanga puta noa kite Rakau o TamaruReserve for Matiaha. ka tutaki i konei nga rohe. E rua rau o nga eka o tenei wahi e hokona e matou ki nga hereni kotahi tekau mo te eka kotahi hei whenua tumau mo Matiaha. A mo te rironga mai o aua moni me te otinga o enei tikanga ka tuhia o matou ingoa me to te Makarini i te aroaro o nga kai titiro.

Donald McLean, Comn.
Na Matiaha Mokai.
Maniheera R.
Wi Kingi.
Elwin B. Dickson.
Hoera Wakataha.

Translation.

1856. 18 January.Wairarapa District.This Deed written on this eighteenth 18th day of Jannary in the year of Our Lord 1856 is a document of the full and true sale by us to Victoria the Queen of England ofAranca Te Kura. a portion of our place at Ruamahanga of which the general name is Aranga te Kura for the sum of three shillings per acre. There are about four hundred acres in that place, when it is surveyed the exact area whether greater or less will be ascertained if less thenReceipt for £60. the amount will be so much less calculated at the rate of three shillings per acre and if page 329 more then it will be so much more calculated at the rate of three shillings per acre.Boundaries. The payment that we have received on this day for that land is Sixty Pounds in money (£60). The boundaries of the land commence at Te Rakau-o-Tamaru, thence it runs inland along the Queen's boundary to Ngakoau thence along Ngakoau to Hapuapopoti, thence to Te Totara, thence inland to Te Koparoa it falls into Ruamahanga and goes on to Te Para thence along the Ruamahanga to Te Rakau-o-Tamaru where the boundaries meet. We will purchase two hundred acres of this piece at ten shillings per acre asReserve for Matiaha. permanent land for Matiaha. And in acknowledgment of the receipt of the said moneys and the settlement of these conditions we sign our names and Mr. McLean signs his in the presence of the witnesses.

[Signatures.]

[Witnesses.]

Correct Translation.

T. E. Young,
Translator, Native Department.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, January 13th, 1877.