Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume Two

[Deeds—No. 139.]

page 328

Deeds—No. 139.

Ahikauru Block, Wairarapa District.

1856. 10 January.Wairarapa District.He Pukapuka tino hoko tenei na maua i te wahvi whenua ki te Ahikauru i tenei ra i te 10 o Hanuere, 1856, ki a Wikitoria te Kuini o Ingarani ki nga Kingi Kuini ranei o muriAhikauru. iho i a ia ake tonu atu. Nga rohe o te whenua ka timata ki te Taumata o te Mauri teBoundaries. Porowhakate Rawhiti o Papa Hikurangi; ka rere ki te whare o Taneroa te Waikakariki; ka rereReceipt for £20. ki te awa o Waikakariki Taberekaru; ka eke ki te rohe o te Kuini ki Witimanuka ka anga wakatetonga Taumata o te Manawa Te Motu o Punehu ka wati i reira ka rere ki te Taumata o te Mauri. E rua tekau o nga pauna moni £20 kua Tiro mai ki a maua i tenei ra mo taua whenua engari kia oti taiua wabi te titiro me be mea e rahi ana taua wahi ka whakanukuhia nga utu ka iti ano te whenua ka mutu ano nga utu. Ma te Kupa e whakaoti ana tae ki Wairarapa.

Wiremu Kingi.
Maika Meha.

Nga kai titiro—

Hoera Wakataka.
Elwin B. Dickson.

Translation.

This is a Deed of the entire sale, by us two, of the portion of land named Ahikauru, on this day, on the 10th day of January 1856, to Victoria the Queen of England, andAhikauru . to the Kings or Queens who may succeed her for ever and ever. The boundaries of theBoundaries. land commence at Taumata-o-te-Mauri, te Porowhakate Rawhiti o Papa, Hikurangi; thence to Taneroa's house at Waikakariki, Taherekaru; thence to the boundary of the Crown Land at Witimanuka; thence Southwards to Tamata-o-te-Manawa, te Motu o Punehu; turning thence it runs to Taumata-o-te-Mauri. We two have received the sum of twenty pounds (£20) on this day for the said land; and, when the land has been examined, if it be found to be extensive, the price will be increased; but if small, it will remain at the present sum. The final arrangements will be made when Mr. Cooper visits Wairarapa.

(Signed) Wiremu Kingi.
Maika Meha.

Witnesses—

(Signed) Hoera Wakataha.
Elwin B. Dickson.

A True Translation.

Donald McLean,
Chief Commissioner.

April, 1856.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, February 15th, 1876.