Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume Two

[Deeds—No. 136.]

Deeds—No. 136.

Kopuaranga Block (Te Oreore), Wairarapa District.

1855. 8 August.Wairarapa District.Tenei pukapuka tuku whenua e tuhituhia nei e tenei ra i te waru 8 o nga o Akuhata i te tau o to tatou Ariki 1855. He pukapuka tino whakaae pono na matou na nga rangatira me nga tangata o Ngatikahungunu e mau nei nga ingoa ki tenei pukapuka, kia tinoKopuaranga. tukua rawatia tetahi wahi o to matou kainga ki a Wikitoria te Kuini o Ingarangi ki nga Kingi Kuini rahei o muri iho i a ia ake tonu atu.
Receipt for £100. A mo to matou whakaaetanga kia tino tukua rawatia tenei wahi o te matou kainga e whakaae ana hoki a Wikitoria te Kuini o Ingarangi mona kia utua matou ki nga pauna moni Kotahi te rau takitaki £100 ko aua moni kua riro mai ki a matou i tenei ra na te Kupa i homai Heoi ra ka porotou nga utu ki a matou mo tenei whenua.
Boundaries. Ka timata te rohe ki te Roto Kura ki te tahataha o te awa o Kopuaranga ka rere i roto i te awa mau rawa atu ko Tihore ka whati i reira ka ahu whakarunga i runga tonu i te rohe o te Kuini mau rawa atu ko Maiki; ka whati i reira, ka atu whakatetonga mau rawa atu ko te Waiawhiti; ka whati mai i reira mau rawa mai Ko te Roto Kura ka tutaki.
page 325

Heoi kua oti i a matou te tino tuku rawa i tenei kainga o a matou tupuna, tuku iho ki a matou me ona rakau me ona wai me ona mea katoa kei runga ranei o te whenua kei raro ranei o te whenua me ona aha noa iho o taua whenua ka tino tukua rawatia e matou i tenei ra e whiti nei hei kainga pumau tonu iho ki a Wikitoria te Kuini o Ingarangi, ki nga Kingi Kuini ranei o muri iho i a ia a ake tonu atu.

No konei hoki ka tuhia iho o matou ingoa me a matou tohu me te ingoa hoki o te Kupa te Kai whakarite whenua o te Kawana mo tenei pito o Nui Tireni, ki Poneke, i tenei ra i te 8 Akuhata 1855.

G. S. Cooper,
District Native Land Comr.
Ko te Otene.
Na Matini.
Na Renata.

Nga kai titiro ki tenei homaitanga moni me tenei tuhinga ingoa—

George Frederick Swainson, Asst. Surveyor, Wellington.
Na Karaitiana.

Translation.

This deed conveying land dated this day the eighth (8) of the day of August in the1855. 8 August.Wairarapa District. year of our Lord 1855. is a paper of the full and true consent of us the chiefs and men of Ngatikahungunu whose names are attached to this paper to entirely give up a piece of our land to Victoria the Queen of England and to all the Kings and Queens her successors for ever.Kopuaranga.
And for our consenting entirely to give up this piece of our land Victoria the Queen of England on her part agrees to pay us the sum of one hundred pounds in money £100Receipt for £100. which sum Mr. Cooper has this day paid to us. This is all the payment we are to have for this land.
The boundary begins at te Rotokura on the banks of the Kopuaranga stream,Boundaries. thence it follows the river to Tihore there it breaks off and runs up along the Queen's boundary to Maiki where it breaks off and runs in a Southerly direction to the Waiawhiti where it breaks off and runs to Rotokura where it closes up.

Now we have entirely surrendered this land inherited by us from our ancestors, with all its wood, water, and everything either above or below the soil, and everything connected with the said land: All these we have finally given up under the shining sun of the present day as a sure and certain possession to Victoria the Queen of England and to all the Kings and Queens her successors for ever.

In witness whereof we have hereto subscribed our names and marks, and Mr. Cooper, the Governor's Land Commissioner for this end of New Zealand has also signed his name, at Wellington on this 8th day of August 1855.

G. S. Cooper,
Dist. Native Land Comr.
te Otene.
Matini.
Renata.

Witnesses of Payment and signatures—

signed>George Frederick Swainson, Asst. Surveyor, Wellington, N.Z. Karaitiana.

True Translation.

G. S. Cooper, D.C.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, January 12th, 1876.