Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume Two

[Deeds—No. 106.]

Deeds—No. 106.

Whareama Block (Part of), Wairarapa District.

1853. 12 December.Wairarapa District.Tenei Pukapuka tuku whenua e tuhituhia nei i tenei ra i te tekau ma rua (12) o nga ra o Tihema i te tau o to tatou Ariki kotahi mano e warn rau rima tekau ma toruWhareama. (Part of). (1853) He pukapuna tino whakaae pono na matou na nga tangata e mau nei nga ingoa ki tenei pukapuka mo matou mo o matou iwi me o matou whanaunga kia tino tukua tetahi taha o to matou kainga ki a Wikitoria te Kuini o Ingarini ki nga Kingi Kuini rahei o muri iho i a ia ake tonu atu.
A mo to matou whakaaetahga pono i tenei ra e whiti nei kia tino tukuatenei wahi o to matou kainga e whakaae ana a Wikitoria te Kuini o Ingarini mona kia utua matouReceipt for £100. ki nga pauna moni kotahi te rau (£100) takitahi ko aua moni kua riro mai ki a matou i tenei ra na te Makarini i homai.
Boundaries. Nga rohe o te whenua ka timata ki te kaha o te Wiremu raua ko Ihaka Takahiwae i tuku ai ki te tonga ka haere tonu i taua rohe puta noa ki Taueru ko te rohe o te Rawiti i tutaki ki to te Otene raua ko Ngaika. Heoi ko te Tawaha anake tenei o Whareama i toe nei te utu kahore he wahi ke atu e takoto kau ana.
Hikurangi reserved. Kotahi tonu te wahi o taua whenua e mau ki a matou ko te kainga nohoia e matou ki Hikurangi.

Heoi kua oti rawa atu tenei kainga o matou ki a te Kuini ake tonu atu no kona ka tuhia iho o matou ingoa me o matou tohu.

Aperahama te Aox.
Hamuera te Rangix.
Tamati Hapimana.

Nga kai titiro ki enei homaitanga utu me enei tuhinga ingoa—

Purvis Russell

, Grazier, Ahuriri.

John P. Russell,

Settler, Wairarapa.

Archd. Gillies,

Settler, Otaraia, Wairarapa.

Translation.

1853. 12 December.Wairarapa District.This Deed conveying land written on this day on the twelfth (12) of the days of December in the year of our Lord One thousand eight hundred and fifty three (1853) is a paper of the full consent of us the people whose names are hereunto attached on behalf of ourselves our tribes and relations entirely to give up a certain portion of ourWhareama. (Part of). land to Victoria the Queen of England and to the Kings or Queens who may succeed her for ever and ever.
Receipt for £100. And in consideration of our full consent under the shining sun of this day entirely to give up this portion of our land Victoria the Queen of England agrees on her part to pay us the sum of One hundred pounds (£100) once told which monies we have this day received from Mr. McLean.
Boundaries. The boundaries of the land commence on the south at the boundary of the land sold by te Wiremu and Ihaka Takahiwae along which it proceeds to Taueru the boundary on the East adjoins that of te Otene and Ngaika. Now this is the only remaining portion of the Whareama Block which has not been sold there is no other unsold portion.
Hikurangi reserved. One reserve only has been made for ourselves being the place where we reside at Hikurangi.
page 289

Now we have entirely given up this land to the Queen for ever and ever wherefore we hereunto affix our names and marks.

Aperahama te Ao x.
Hamuera te Rangi x.
Tamati Hapimana.

Witnesses to these payments and signatures—

Purvis Russell,

Grazier, Ahuriri.

John P. Russell,

Settler, Wairarapa. Archd. Gillies, Settler, Otaraia, Wairarapa.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, February 4th, 1876.