Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume Two

[Deeds—No. 191.]

page 400

Deeds—No. 191.

Puaputatapotu Block (Mangohao No. 1), Manawatu-Wairarapa District.

1873. 22 October.Wairarapa District. This Deed made the twenty second of October One thousand eight hundred and seventy three between Te Peeti Te Aweawe and Ereni Te Aweawe of Manawatu inPuapuatapotu. the Province of Wellington (hereinafter called "the Vendors") of the one part and Her Majesty Queen Victoria (hereinafter called "the Queen") of the other part Witnesseth that in consideration of the sum of One hundred and seventy pounds paidReceipt for £170. by James Booth Esquire of Whanganui to the Vendors (the receipt of which they do hereby severally acknowledge) The Vendors do and each of them doth hereby convey and assure unto the Queen Her heirs and successors All that piece or parcel of land containing five hundred and thirty acres more or less situate in the Province ofBoundaries. [530 acres.] Wellington being part of the Block known as Mangohao Number One Bounded as follows: Commencing at Otangaue thence along the Mangohao River to Puapuatapotu thence to Te Waotakatua, Tataraki and Tutaetapara thence towards the West by a line bearing eighty eight degrees to Te Kiekie a stream thence in a South Easterly direction by a line bearing One hundred and forty two degrees to the starting point as the same is delineated in the plan drawn on this Deed and coloured red with all the appurtenances thereunto belonging To hold the said Block of land with the appurtenances unto the Queen Her heirs and successors for ever In Witness whereof the said Vendors have hereunto subscribed their names the day and year first above written.

Peeti te Aweawe.
Ereni Te Aweawe x her mark.

Signed by the said Peeti Te Aweawe and Ereni te Aweawe by making her mark (T. E.Y.) in the presence of—
T. E. Young, Certificated Interpreter, Wellington.
J. G. Holdsworth, Comr. Crown Lands.
Hoani Meihana.

Declaration of Thos. E. Young. I, Thomas Edward Young, of the City of Wellington, in the Province of Wellington, Native Interpreter, do solemnly and sincerely declare,—
1.That I hold a certificate as an Interpreter under the Native Lands Act.
2.That I was present on the twenty-second day of October, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-three, with Joseph Godfrey Holdsworth, of the City of Wellington, Commissioner of Crown Lands, and Hoani Meihana, of Manawatu, Aboriginal Native Chief, and did see the within-described Te Peeti Te Aweawe and Ereni Te Aweawe execute the within-written Conveyance.
3.That previous to such execution as aforesaid of the said Conveyance by the said Te Peeti Te Aweawe and Ereni Te Aweawe I interpreted and translated the same to them, and that my interpretation and translation was correct, and was understood by the said Te Peeti Te Aweawe and Ereni Te Aweawe.
4.That the said Joseph Godfrey Holdsworth and Hoani Meihana are male adults. And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of an Act of the General Assembly of New Zealand intituled "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866."

T. E. Young.

Declared at Wellington aforesaid, this twenty-third day of October, 1873. Before me—

J. H. H. St. John, Inspector, A.C.,
A Justice of the Peace.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Declaration.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, December 28th, 1875.