Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume Two

[Deeds—No. 190.]

Deeds—No. 190.

Kauhanga Nos. 1 and 2 Block, Manawatu-Wairarapa District.

1873. 16 April.Wairarapa District. This Deed made the sixteenth day of April Anno Domini one thousand eight hundred and seventy three Between Her Majesty the Queen of the one part and Manahi Paewai, Pene Hakopa, Hoani Meihana, Arapata Inia, Matiu Te Kotoi, Heremia Wirihana,Kauhanga Nos. 1 And 2. Mariana Paewai Katerina Whareraupo, Atenata te Wharekiri, Hare Whaitiri, Heketa Te Awe, Hiraka Porima, Taituha Taringa, Pane Ketunga, Rora Wharekiri, Nireha Tamaki, Hapakuku Paewai, Ihepera Paewai all aboriginal Natives and Chiefs of New Zealand and hereinafter collectively styled "the Vendors" of the other part, Witnesseth that in consideration of the sum of Five hundred and fifty pounds sterling at or before the execution of these presents by Her Majesty the Queen to the Vendors well and truly paid (the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged) they the Vendors do and eachReceipt for £550. of them doth hereby convey assure surrender and confirm unto Her Majesty the Queen her successors and assigns, All the right title and interest property possession claim and demand whatsoever of the Vendors and each and every of them of in to or out of All that the piece or parcel or block of land in the Province of Wellington and Colony of New Zealand described in the Schedule hereto and delineated in the plan drawn hereon, Together with all and singular commons and rights of commonage mines minerals furzes trees woods underwoods and the ground and soil thereof mounds fences hedges ditches ways waters watercourses streams fisheries fishings fowlings surface rights of page 398shore and foreshore liberties privileges hereditaments and appurtenances whatsoever to the said land hereditaments and premises in any wise appertaining to the intent that that the same land hereditaments and premises with their appurtenances may henceforth be and remain vested in Her Majesty the Queen her successors and assigns Freed and discharged of and from all and every claim and demand whatsoever of or by the Vendors and each and every of them and all and every other person or persons lawfully or customarily claiming or to claim by through under or in trust for them him her or any of them. In Witness whereof the said Vendors have hereunto set their hands.

The Schedule above referred to.

Boundaries. [7,000 acres.] All that portion of land comprising Kauhanga blocks Nos. one (1) and two (2) situate in the Province of Wellington and being a portion of the Manawatu-Wairarapa block excepted from the sale made to the Government on the Tenth day of October one thousand eight hundred and seventy one (1871) the said portion of land being estimated to contain seven thousand acres (7000) more or less and bounded on the North by the Manawatu river, on the South by the Mangohao Block No. two (2) on the East and North East by the Manawatu and Mangohao rivers and on the West by the summit of Tararua range. Excepting firstly a Reserve to Hoani Meihana and Manahi Paewai containing by estimation twenty acres (20) more or less known as Te Potae situate and being the Manawatu gorge and bounded on the East by a portion of the said Kauhanga Block No. one (1) on the West by a portion of the said Kauhanga block No. one (1) on the North by the Government road and on the South by a portion of the said Kauhanga Block No. one (1). And excepting secondly a Reserve to Pene Hakopa, Arapata Inia, Matiu Te Kotoi, Heremia Wirihana, Mariana Paewai, and Katerina Whareraupo, containing by estimation Twenty acres (20) more or less known as Te Rerenga o Whiro situate and being in the said Manawatu Gorge immediately below the Ford and Government bridge and being about a mile more or less above the said first mentioned Reserve known as Te Potae. Bounded on the East by a portion of the said Kauhanga Block No. one (1) on the West by a portion of the said Kauhanga Block No. one (l) on the North by the Government road and on the South by a portion of the said Kauhanga Block No. one (1) as the same is shown on the plan drawn hereon.

Hoani Meihana.
Peni Hakopa.
Hiraka te Porima.
Matiu Kotoi x his mark.
Manahi Paewai.
Hapakuku Paewai x his mark.
Atenata Te Wharekiri x his mark.
Rora te Wharekiri x her mark.
Wirihana Kaimokopuna the husband of Rora te Wharekiri
Ihepera Paewai x her mark.
Heketa te Awe.
Nireaha Tamaki.
Heremia Wirihana.
Hare Whaitiri x his mark.
∗Arapata Inia.
Katerina Whareraupo x her mark.
Mariana Paewai.
Manahi Paewai father of Mariana Paewai.
Pane Ketunga x her mark,
and Taituha Taringa x his mark husband of Pane Ketunga.
Taituha Taringa x his mark.

Signed by the said Hoani Meihana, Peni Hakopa, Hiraka te Porima Matiu Kotoi, Manahi Paewai Hapakuku Paewai Atenata Te Wharekiri, Rora te Wharekiri Wirihana Kaimokopuna, Ihepera Paewai, Heketa te Awe, Nireha Tamaki, and Here mia Wirihana in the presence of—

James Grindell, of Wellington, a Licensed Native Interpreter; and James Thomson, of Foxton, Manawatu, a Licensed Surveyor.

Signed by the said Hare Whaitiri by affixing his mark hereto the same having been previously explained to him and he stating that he perfectly understood the same in the presence of us—

James Grindell, of Wellington, a Licensed Native Interpreter; and James Thomson, of Foxton, Manawatu, a Licensed Surveyor.

Signed this 27th Oct. in presence of—
Richard Booth, Asst. Land Purchase Officer; and J. H. H. St. John, Inspec. A.C., J.P.

Signed by the said Katerina Whareraupo Mariana Paewai and Manahi Paewai father of Mariana Paewai the above Deed having been first translated and explained to them in the presence of—
H. M. Hamlin, Licensed Interpreter.
F. Elmbranch, Tuhoraiti.

Signed by the said Pane Ketunga, Taituha Taringa, the husband of Pane Ketungapage 399and Taituha Taringa the above Deed having been first translated and explaind to them in the presence of—
H. M. Hamlin, Licensed Interpreter.
Karauria, Matuakainga.

Interpreter's declaration. I, James Grindell, of Wellington, in the Province of Wellington, in the Colony of New Zealand, a Licensed Native Interpreter, do solemnly and sincerely declare,—
1.That I am a duly licensed Native Interpreter under "The Native Lands Act, 1865," and "The Native Lands Act, 1867."
2.That I was present when the withih-named Hoani Meihana, Pine Hakopa, Hiraka te Porima, Matiu Kotoi, Manahi Paewai, Hapakuku Paewai, Atenata te Wharekiri, Rora te Wharekiri, Wirihana Kaimokopuna, Ihepera Paewai, Heketa te Awe, Nireaha Tamaki, and Heremia Wirihana, aboriginal natives of New Zealand, duly executed the within-written Deed, and that before they executed the same I faithfully translated and explained the said Deed to them, and they appeared to perfectly understand the purport thereof, and executed the same in my presence, and in the presence of James Thomson, an adult European. And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, under and by virtue of the provisions of "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866," and "The Native Lands Act, 1867."

James Grindell.

Made and declared at Foxton this nineteenth day of April, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-three. Before me—

J. Rogan,

A Justice of the Peace for the Colony of New Zealand.

Interpreter's declaration. I, James Grindell, of Wellington, in the Province of Wellington, in the Colony of New Zealand, a Licensed Native Interpreter, do solemnly and sincerely declare,—
1.That I am a duly licensed Native Interpreter under "The Native Lands Act, 1865," and "The Native Lands Act, 1867."
2.That I was present when the within-named Hare Whaitiri, an aboriginal native of New Zealand, duly executed the within-written Deed, and that before he executed the same I faithfully translated and explained the said Deed to him, and he appeared to perfectly understand the purport thereof, and executed the same in my presence, and in the presence of James Thomson, an adult European. And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, under and by virtue of the provisions of "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866," and "The Native Lands Act, 1867."

James Grindell.

Made and declared at Wellington, this 23rd day of May, one thousand eight hundred and, seventy-three. Before me—

William Dorsett, J.P.

Interpreter's declaration. I, Henry Martyn Hamlin, of Napier, in the Province of Hawke's Bay, in the Colony of New Zealand, Licensed Native Interpreter, do solemnly and sincerely declare,—
2.That I was present on the tenth day of December, 1873, when the within-named Katerina Whareraupo, Mariana Paewai and Manahi Paewai her father, Pane Ketunga, and Taituha Taringa, aboriginal natives of New Zealand, duly executed the within-written Deed of Conveyance, dated 16th April, 1873, and that before, they executed the same I faithfully translated and explained the contents thereof to them, and they understood the contents of the said Deed; and that Katerina Whareraupo, Mariana Paewai, and Manahi Paewai her father executed the said Deed, in the presence of myself and Frederick Elmbranch, a male adult European; and that Pane Ketunga and Taituha Taringa, for himself and as the husband of Pane Ketunga, executed the said Deed on the 10th December, 1873, in my presence, and in the presence of Karauria Matuakainga, a male adult aboriginal native, and that we respectively subscribed our names as the attesting witnesses thereto. And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866," and the Native Lands Acts now in force in New Zealand.

H. M. Hamlin.

Declared at Napier this 17th day of December,
1873. Before me—

H. S. Tiffen, J.P.,

A Justice of the Peace for the Colony of New-Zealand.
A True Copy of Original Deed and Declarations.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, March 16th, 1876.