Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume Two

[untitled]

Interpreter's declaration. I, Henry Martyn Hamlin, of Napier, in the Province of Hawke's Bay, in the Colony of New Zealand, Licensed Native Interpreter, do solemnly and sincerely declare,—
1.That I am a duly licensed Native Interpreter under "The Native Lands Act, 1865," and "The Native Lands Act, 1867."
2.That I was present on the tenth day of December, 1873, when the within-named Katerina Whareraupo, Mariana Paewai and Manahi Paewai her father, Pane Ketunga, and Taituha Taringa, aboriginal natives of New Zealand, duly executed the within-written Deed of Conveyance, dated 16th April, 1873, and that before, they executed the same I faithfully translated and explained the contents thereof to them, and they understood the contents of the said Deed; and that Katerina Whareraupo, Mariana Paewai, and Manahi Paewai her father executed the said Deed, in the presence of myself and Frederick Elmbranch, a male adult European; and that Pane Ketunga and Taituha Taringa, for himself and as the husband of Pane Ketunga, executed the said Deed on the 10th December, 1873, in my presence, and in the presence of Karauria Matuakainga, a male adult aboriginal native, and that we respectively subscribed our names as the attesting witnesses thereto. And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866," and the Native Lands Acts now in force in New Zealand.

H. M. Hamlin.

Declared at Napier this 17th day of December,
1873. Before me—

H. S. Tiffen, J.P.,

A Justice of the Peace for the Colony of New-Zealand.
A True Copy of Original Deed and Declarations.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, March 16th, 1876.