Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume Two

[Deeds—No. 188.]

Deeds—No. 188.

Mangatainoka No. 1 Block (Claims in), Wairarapa District.

1873. 28 March.Wairarapa District. This Deed made the twenty eighth day of March one thousand eight hundred and seventy three Between Her Majesty the Queen of the one part and Hoani Meihana, Peeti te Awe Awe, and Huru te Hiaro aboriginal natives of New Zealand (hereinafter styledMangatainoka No. 1.(Claims in Block.) the partial vendors) of the other part, Whereas the partial vendors are or some or one of them is entitled to the parcel or block of land described in the schedule page 395hereto in whole or in part, and whereas the partial vendors have contracted with His Honor William Fitzherbert Esquire, Superintendent of the Province of Wellington acting in this behalf for and on account of Her Majesty the Queen, that the said Superintendent shall make advances of money and goods to the partial vendors and as they may direct to be paid for and repaid respectively whenever such land shall be sold or allowed as part of the purchase money thereof in case the said William Fitzherbert or his successors Superintendents as aforesaid shall on behalf of Her Majesty the Queen become the purchaser or purchasers thereof. Now these presents witness that in consideration of one hundred pounds sterling (£100) by Her Majesty the Queen in manner aforesaid at or before the execution of these presents to the partial vendors paid and advanced (the receipt whereof is hereby acknowledged)Receipt for £100, advance. They the partial vendors do and each of them doth hereby convey and assure and surrender unto her Majesty the Queen her successors and assigns, All the right title and interest of the partial vendors and each and every of them in to or out of, All that the piece or parcel of land in the Province of Wellington and Colony of New Zealand more particularly described in the schedule hereto and delineated in the plan drawn hereon, Together with all and singular commons and rights of common mines minerals furzes trees woods underwoods and the ground and soil thereof mounds fences hedges ditches ways waters courses streams fishings fisheries fowlings surface rights of shore and foreshore (if any) and all and singular other the appurtenances whatsoever thereunto belonging or appertaining, To the intent that the same land mines and appurtenances may henceforth be and continue unto Her Majesty the Queen her successors and assigns as a security for the said sum of one hundred pounds sterling (£100) And all other sums or sum of money or the price or prices of goods on the behalf of Her Majesty the Queen to be hereafter paid or delivered to the partial vendors or any or either of them or to any person or persons at their request. In Witness whereof the said parties hereto have hereunto set their hands.

The Schedule referred to in the foregoing Deed.

All that parcel of land being a portion of the Manawatu-Wairarapa block commonlyBoundaries. [62,000 acres.] known as the Seventy mile bush and estimated to contain sixty two thousand acres more or less, Bounded on the North by the Manawatu river on the East by the Makakahi and Tiraumea rivers and by Government land known as Manawatu block in the district of Wairarapa and by a portion of the Pahiatua block and on the West by the Mangohao river and by Government land.

Hoani Meihana.
Peeti te Awe Awe.
Huru te Hiaro.

Signed by the said Hoani Meihana, Peeti te
Awe Awe and Huru te Hiaro in the pre
sence of—

James Grindell, of Wellington, a Licensed Interpreter, and
James Thompson, of Foxton, Manawatu, a Licensed Surveyor.

I, James Grindell, of Wellington, in the Province of Wellington, in the Colony ofDeclaration of James Grindell. New Zealand, a Licensed Native Interpreter, do solemnly and sincerely declare,—
1.That I am a duly Licensed Native Interpreter under "The Native Lands Act, 1865" and "The Native Lands Act, 1867."
2.That I was present when the within-named Hoani Meihana, Peeti te Awe Awe, and Huru te Hiaro, aboriginal natives of New Zealand, duly executed the within-written Deed, and that before they executed the same I faithfully translated and explained the said Deed to them, and they appeared to perfectly understand the purport thereof, and executed the same in my presence and in the presence of James Thomson, an adult male European.
3.That the Erasures on the second, third, and fourth lines from the bottom on the first page of the said Deed, initialed by myself and the said James Thomson, were made previous to the signing of the same by the said aboriginal natives.

And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, under and by virtue of the provisions of "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866," and "The Native Lands Act, 1867."

James Grindell.

Made and declared at Foxton, this seventh
day of April, one thousand eight hundredand seventy-three. Before me—

P. A. Buckley, J.P.

Poneke, Hurai 8, 1873.
Tenei kua homai e te Huperetene o Werengitana ki a maua kotahi rau pauna moni me1873. 8 July.Receipt for £190, advance. nga Paraoa e rua tana me te tana Huka kotahi hui katoa nga utu o aua kai ka iwa tekau pauna, hui atu ki nga moni ka kotahi rau e iwa tekau pauna moni ka riro mai ki a maua Na, ko enei moni ka whakatakotoria ki runga ki Manawatu-Wairarapa Nama 3 wahi a ka hui atu ki nga moni kotahi rau pauna i riro mai ki a Huru te Hiaro, ki a Te Peeti te page 396Awe Awe ki a Hoani Meihana i roto i te pukapuka i tuhia e ratou i te rua tekau ma waru o nga ra o Maehe kotahi mano e waru rau e whitu tekau ma toru.

Huru te Hiaro.
Wata Tohu.

Signed by the said Huru te Hiaro and Wata Tohu in the presence of

James Grindell, of Wellington, a Licensed Interpreter, and
Wm. Jones, Clerk, Wellington.

Translation.

1873. 8 July.Receipt for £190, advance. We have received from the Superintendent of Wellington the sum of one hundred pounds sterling, and two tons of flour and one ton of sugar amounting to ninety pounds sterling, the total amount being one hundred and ninety pounds which we have received. The money is to be charged to the account of Manawatu-Wairarapa block No. 3 and added to the sum of one hundred pounds stg. received by Huru te Hiaro, Te Peeti te Awe Awe and Hoani Meihana as contained in the Deed (of Lien) signed by them on the twenty eighth day of March one thousand eight hundred and seventy three.

A True Translation.

James Grindell.
No. 16457.

Registration. Received 1 p.m. Tuesday, 20th May, 1873.

(l.s.) John E. Smith,
Registrar of Deeds.

A True Copy of Original Deed, Receipt, and Endorsement.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, December 21st, 1875.