Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume Two

[untitled]

I, James Grindell, of Wellington, in the Province of Wellington, in the Colony ofDeclaration of James Grindell. New Zealand, a Licensed Native Interpreter, do solemnly and sincerely declare,—
1.That I am a duly Licensed Native Interpreter under "The Native Lands Act, 1865" and "The Native Lands Act, 1867."
2.That I was present when the within-named Hoani Meihana, Peeti te Awe Awe, and Huru te Hiaro, aboriginal natives of New Zealand, duly executed the within-written Deed, and that before they executed the same I faithfully translated and explained the said Deed to them, and they appeared to perfectly understand the purport thereof, and executed the same in my presence and in the presence of James Thomson, an adult male European.
3.That the Erasures on the second, third, and fourth lines from the bottom on the first page of the said Deed, initialed by myself and the said James Thomson, were made previous to the signing of the same by the said aboriginal natives.

And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, under and by virtue of the provisions of "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866," and "The Native Lands Act, 1867."

James Grindell.

Made and declared at Foxton, this seventh
day of April, one thousand eight hundredand seventy-three. Before me—

P. A. Buckley, J.P.