Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume Two

[untitled]

Declaration of James Grindell. I, James Grindell, of Wellington, in the Colony of New Zealand, a Licensed Interpreter under the Native Lands Acts, do solemnly and sincerely declare,—
1st.That I am a Licensed Interpreter under the Native Lands Acts.
2nd.That I was present on the eighteenth day of November, One thousand eight hundred and seventy-two, and did see the within-named Erihapeti Whakamairu, Ihaia Whakamairu, Matini Ruta, Tapatu Matini, Arapata Taharuru, Tihei (by mark), Karaitiana Korou, Wi Waka Kahukura, Wi Tinitara, and Huru te Hiaro, Aboriginal Natives of New Zealand, duly execute the within-written Deed of Conveyance, and that before they executed the said Deed I faithfully translated and explained the said Deed to them, and the contents thereof were fully understood by them, and that they executed the same in my presence and in the presence of Thomas E. Young, of Wellington, an adult European.

That the signature "T. E. Young," the attesting witness to the execution of the said Deed, is of the proper handwriting of Thomas E. Young, of Wellington, in the colony aforesaid.

That the signature "James Grindell" is of the proper handwriting of me, this Deponent. And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and under and by virtue of "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866."

(Stamp, 10s.) James Grindell.

Declared at Foxton this fifth day of December, 1872. Before me—

Herbert Wardell, R.M.,

One of Her Majesty's Justices of the Peace for the Colony of New Zealand.