Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume Two

[Deeds—No. 185.]

Deeds—No. 185.

Arikirau Block (Agreement), Wairarapa District.

He pukapuka whakamahara tenei o tetahi whakaritenga i mahia nei i tenei ra te rua1872. 22 April.Wairarapa District. tekau ma rua o nga ra o Aperira Kotahi mano e warn rau e whitu tekau ma rua. I a Wiremu Tinitara Te Kaewa, Ihaka Te Aomatangi, Paora Tihi and Kere Tihi o Wairarapa i roto i te Porowini o Poneke me te Koroni o Niu Tirani he tangata maori neiArikirau.(Agreement.) page 392ratou o Niu Tirani e huaina iho nei ko nga kai hoko o tetahi taha me to Kawanatanga o Niu Tirani o tetahi taha e Whakatu ana mo nga monei E rua herein me te hikipene (2/6)3,000 acres at 2s. 6d. per acre, £375. mo ia eka mo ia eka ka whakaae nei aua kai hoko ko ratou huihui ko ratou takitahi ranei i runga i te ritenga o te urunga o te paanga o tetahi o tetahi ki te hoatu ki te whakatuturu atu ki te Kawanatanga o Niu Tirani ko taua piihi whenua katoa i roto i te takiwa o Wairarapa me te Porowini o Poneke e mohiotia na tona ingoa ko Arikirau kia Tataha ki te whakaaro iho E toru mano eka kei roto i taua wahi nui atu paku iho ranei. Ko ngaBoundaries. rohe ka timata ki te Whakamarumaru ka rere ki te Waitapu ka rere ki Mangatawake, ka rere ki Ngatautohe ka rere ki Te Pohatu o Kawekura, ka rere ki Te Aputa ka rere ki Te Whakaruru ka rere ki nga Korako ka rere ki Taepa kiekie ka rere ki roto a Te Mangatawake ka rere ki te Waro ka rere ki te Waiwhinau ka rere ki Te Whakamarumaru, me nga mea katoa ano hoki e pa ana ki taua whenua me te ritenga me te urunga me te paanga o aua kai hoko ki taua whenua kia whakapumaurawatia ki te Kawanatanga o Niu Tirani ki ana kai tukunga iho ranei mo ake tonu atu a ka tino whakaritea ka tino whakaaetia hoki e aua kaihoko ka hohoro i a ratou te tuku taua whenua kia Mahia e te Kooti whakawa i nga whenua Maori Ina te tohu o te whakaaetanga o aua kaihoko ki nga ritenga o tenei pukapuka Ko o ratou ingoa kua whakamau iho nei—

Wi Tinitara te Kaewa.
Ihaka te Aomatangi x.
Paora Tihi.
Kere Tihi x.

Witness by

Henry Bannister, Masterton, Storekeeper.

Translation.

1872. 22 April.Wairarapa District. Memo. of Agreement made the Twenty second day of April One thousand eight hundred and seventy two Between Wiremu Tinitara te Kaewa, Ihaka te Aomatangi, Paora Tihi, and Kere Tihi of Wairarapa in the Province of Wellington and Colony of New Zealand, aboriginal natives of New Zealand hereinafter called the sellers of the one partArikirau.(Agreement.) and the General Government of New Zealand of the other part Witnesseth that in consideration of the sum of Two shillings and sixpence (2/6) per acre They the said sellers3,000 acres at 2s. 6d. per acre, £375. do and each of them doth agree according to their several estates and interests to convey and assure unto the General Government of New Zealand all that piece or parcel of land situate in the district of Wairarapa being called by the name of Arikirau KiaBoundaries. Tataha estimated Three thousand acres being the same more or less Boundaries commencing at Te Whakamarumaru thence to Te Waitapu thence to Te Mangatawake thence to Ngatautohe thence to Te Pohatu o Kawekura thence to Te Aputa thence to Te Whakaruru thence to Nga Korako, thence to Taepa Kiekie thence into Te Mangatawake thence to Te Waro, thence to Te Wai Whinau, thence to Te Whakamarumaru Together with all ways rights and advantages whatsoever thereunto appertaining and all the right, title, claim and demand of the said sellers To have and to hold the said land to the General Government of New Zealand or their assigns for ever and it is hereby expressly agreed and declared by the said sellers that they shall and will pass the said land through the Native land Court without delay. In witness whereof the said parties have hereunto subscribed their names.

Signed by the said—

Wi Tinitara te Kaewa.
Ihaka te Aomatangi x.
Paora Tihi.
Kere Tihi x.

Witness by—

Henry Bannister, Masterton, Storekeeper.

Minute. I recommend that fifty pounds stg. (£50) be paid to natives on account of this purchase.

25 April, 1872.

William Fitzherbert.

A True Copy of Original Agreement and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, January 8th, 1876.