Now this is the last or concluding payment which was decided upon by Mr. Spain in the Year One thousand eight hundred and forty four (1844) when he held a meeting with the people of Wanganui respecting the land which he then declared should be for the Directors or principal persons of the New Zealand Company and which sum he Mr. Spain decided should be given in addition to what was given by Colonel Wakefield the Chief or Principal Agent of the said Company now residing in Port Nicholson and which was paid over by Mr. Jerningham Wakefield to some of the Chiefs of Wanganui in the year One thousand eight hundred and forty (1840).
Now all the land contained within these boundaries excepting the places mentioned in this paper as reserved for ourselves we have wept and sighed over bidden farewell to and delivered up for ever to the Europeans; together with the rivers streams trees and all and everything connected with the said land.
|1.||Reserve No. 1. This is the first reservation for us. All our Eel and Inanga cuts at Wiritoa at Paure at Kaitoke at Okui at Oakura and other streams for fishing Eels within the boundaries which have now been given up to the Europeans.|
|2.||Reserve No. 2. Second. The small wood called "Omanaia" close to the Eastern boundary line which was surveyed by Mr. Wills and shewn by him to Te Munu of Wangaehu and marked on the accompanying plan.|
|3.||Reserve No. 3. Third. A piece of the wood called "Te Marangai" containing nearly eleven acres the boundaries of which have been cut and shewn to the Natives by Mr. Wills page 243surveyor in the presence of Mr. McLean Abraham and Munu of Wangaehu in One thousand eight hundred and forty six (1846) and of Munu and Mr. John Cameron in One thousand eight hundred and forty eight (1840). The old surveyed line formerly cut by Mr. Thomas and Mr. Shepherd Surveyors to Colonel Wakefield is the South boundary.|
|4.||Fourth. Inland of the Matarawa stream from the stake "Maungarau-tawiriReserve No. 4. in the direction of the line staked by Mr. Wills in One thousand eight hundred and forty six (1846) and shewn by him to Abraham Munu and John Williams in the presence of Mr. McLean. We are to be allowed to cultivate and use the timber on the wooded hills toward Waikupa from which the settlers are also to be allowed to cut and take whatever firewood they may require.|
|5.||Fifth. One section containing one hundred acres of land on the sea side of theReserve No. 5. lake Paure as marked out by Mr. Wills and shewn to Governor Paipai in the presence of Mr. John Cameron.|
|6.||Sixth. A large block of land in the neighbourhood of Putiki Waranui. TheseReserve No. 6. are the boundaries—Commencing at Te Papa on the South bank of the Wanganui river the boundary there is a Mahoe tree shewn by Mr. Wills to George King and other natives of Putiki thence straight along the large survey line which was formerly cut from Te Papa by Colonel Wakefield's Surveyor to a high Titoki stake known by the name of George King and driven by Mr. Wills in One thousand eight hundred and forty six (1846) and by him shewn to Mawae and other natives thence along the line cut by Mr. Wills in the direction pointed out by Mawae together with the Natives Kemp and Ford through the woods (in which numerous trees are marked) and Fern land straight to a pole known by the name of "Mawae" and driven in by that chief near another large Survey line formerly cut by Colonel Wakefield's surveyors and from that pole straight along the said survey line through the wood named "Te Oa" and through the swamp behind Putiki Waranui straight to the Wanganui river. This land is shewn in the plan given to us by Mr. McLean, however, from this block is excepted a piece of land shewn in the accompanying map and on the map given to us by Mr. McLean and containing about twenty nine (29) acres the property of Messrs. Taylor and Watt the boundaries of which as marked on the ground by George King, Mawae and other natives have been surveyed by Mr. Wills. Our block exclusive of Taylor and Watt's piece contains One thousand three hundred and two (1302 acres).|
|7.||Seventh. A block adjoining the last mentioned block and containing about sixReserve No. 7. hundred (600) acres commencing at Awarua the mouth of the Waitahanui the boundary goes straight across to the Kaitoke stream thence round by the West side of the Kaitoke lake till it joins the line in the wood on its bank cut by Mr. Wills in One thousand eight hundred and forty six together with the Native (Kemp) sent by Mawae (in the direction pointed out by Kawana Paipai) along that line it goes straight to a Kahikatea tree also pointed out by them and continuing straight to a pole driven by Paipai in a hill above the Putiki Swamp thence straight to a pole close to Bell's Bridge on the Waitahanui. This land is shown on the map given to us by Mr. McLean.|
|8.||Eighth. A piece of land on the Sea side of the Purua stream the boundaries ofReserve No. 8. which as marked by the Tahana and others of the Patutokotoko have been surveyed by Mr. Wills.|
|9.||Ninth. The burial ground fenced in on the sea side of the MataongaongaReserve No. 9. creek.|
|10.||Tenth. A block of land about six hundred and fifty (650) acres on the SouthReserve No. 10. bank of the Wanganui river commencing at the mouth of the Kukuta stream the boundary goes up that stream to its junction with the Waipukura stream thence it goes up that stream to the end of the lines cut in One thousand eight hundred and forty six (1846), by Mr. White on the Makirikiri stream and shown by him to Tamihana and others of the Patutokoloko Tribe then down the Makirikiri to its junction with the Upokongaro and down the Upokongaro to its mouth. This land is shown on the map given to us by Mr. McLean. Also the small patch where the Church and other Native houses are erected the boundaries of which were marked by Tamihana and the Tahana of the Patutokotoko tribe and which patch has been surveyed by Mr. Wills.|
|11.||Eleventh. About one hundred (100) acres of the land at Kaiwaiki whichReserve No. 11. was shown to the Natives of Tunuhaere by Mr. White Surveyor in the year One thousand eight hundred and forty six (1846). This land is also shown on the Map given to us by Mr. McLean.|
|12.||Twelfth. The cultivations on the North side of the Wanganui river fromReserve No. 12. below Tunuhaere to the Kaipua stream the cultivation of Waipuna behind Tunuhaere Also the cultivations at Motuhou and Matakitaki and we will not extend or enlarge these cultivations but shall confine them to their present shape or extent at the date of writing this paper.|
|13.||Thirteenth. We are allowed to cultivate those portions of the wood known asReserve No. 13. Ngaturi near Tunuhaere which have not been surveyed by the Surveyors for the use of Europeans, it will however rest with the Governor when Europeans settle near this neighbourhood that we the people of Tunuhaere should abandon the last mentioned cultivations lest the Europeans may be disturbed by our cultivations because we are provided with a large extent of land beyond the European boundary.|
|14.||Fourteenth. A block of land at Aramoa containing about Two hundred andReserve No. 14. forty 240 acres on the North side of the Wanganui river which has been surveyed and the boundaries pointed out to the Natives by Mr. White Surveyor in the year One page 244thousand eight hundred and forty six 1846 but this land is more clearly shown and described an the map given to us by Mr. McLean.|
|15.||Reserve No. 15. Fifteenth. A small patch at Tutaieka namely the burial ground and the spot of ground which was marked in the presence of Mr. McLean by Wiremu Eruera and Hoani Rawenata of the Putiki Pa and which was surveyed by Mr. Wills.|
Now this assuredly is the last of the lands which shall be reserved or made sacred for us within the boundaries for the Europeans and Mr. McLean consents on the part of the Governor of this Island that these Reserves shall be surely and certainly for us for our children and for all our descendants and successors for ever.
And having fully consented to all the conditions and particulars contained in this paper giving up land which has been publicly read and explained to us by Mr. McLean we subscribe our names and marks.
And Mr. McLean having also consented on behalf of the Governor to all the conditions and particulars contained in this paper his name (Mr. McLean's) is also hereunto subscribed.
Here follow 207 Signatures—
|On Friday the 26th May 1848||83|
|On Saturday the 27th May 1848||114|
|And on Monday the 29th May 1848||18—|
A True Translation.
Donald McLean, Inspector of Police.Registration. No. 126. Received for Registration at 12 o'clock, noon, 17th November, 1848.
(l.s.) Robert R. Strang,
Registrar of Deeds.
A True Copy of Original Deed, Translation, and Endorsement.