Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume Two

[untitled]

I, James Grindell, of Wellington, in the Province of Wellington, in the Colony ofInterpreter's declaration. New Zealand, a Licensed Native Interpreter, do solemnly and sincerely declare—
1.That I am a duly Licensed Native Interpreter, under "The Native Lands Act, 1865," and "The Native Lands Act, 1867."
2.That I was present when the within-named Reweti te Kohu, Tohutohu, Tamihana Wharehaka, Pine Wharehaka, Wiremu Taha, Akapita Tahitangata, Peia Poriki, Te Mahi Tohutohu by her husband Tohutohu, Haimona te Kohu, Karehana te Whena, Parakipane te Kohu, Ihaka Paha, Kipihana Riki, Tuangahuru Whanganui, Pitini Turoa, Watene te Punga, Kerehona Haruru, Watene Whena, Horomona te Whena, Taurewa te Punga, Hapimana Waiteti, Muera te Naku, Hapurona Rongarahi, Karepa Tehu, Mohi Kaipuha, Makuini Karepa, Wiremu te Kohu, Hapimana Waiteti, Ihaka Ngapari by his son Ihaka Paha, and Iharaira Hapimana, all Aboriginal Natives of New Zealand, duly executed the within-written Deed, and that before they executed the same I faithfully translated and explained the said Deed to them, and they appeared to perfectly understand the purport thereof, and executed the same in my presence, and in the presence of James Thomson, an adult male European.

And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, under and by virtue of the provisions of "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866," and "The Native Lands Act, 1867."

James Grindell.

Made and declared at Wellington this twenty-third day of May, 1873. Before me—

William Dorsett, J.P.