Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume Two

[Deeds—No. 12.]

Deeds—No. 12.
Ohariu Block (Four Native Reserves), Wellington District.

Te Ture mo nga whenua rahui o nga tangata Maori i Niu Tirani 1856. Rarangi XIV.

1859. About December Wellington District.Kia mohio mai nga tangata katoa ki enei meatanga ko matou tenei Nga Rangatira me OHARIU. nga tangata o Ngatitama te mea nei i runga i nga Tikanga o "Te Ture mo nga whenua Conveyance by Ngatitama of four Native reserves. Rahui o nga Tangata Maori i Niu Tirani 1856" tenei hoki te tukua rawatia atu nei, te page 110tino hoatu nei matou ki a Wikitoria, Kuini o Ingarani ki ona uri ki nga Kingi ki nga Kuini o muri atu i a ia taua wahi whenua katoa e takoto nei te tuhituhi tona korero kei te upoko whakaatuatu i raro nei Me nga tikanga me ma nga aha katoa o taua Whenua ka hoatu ki a Te Kuini hei pupuri mana ma ona uri ona muringa hoki i runga i nga ritenga me nga tikanga katoa o taua "Tore mo nga whenua Rahui mo nga Tangata Maori i Niu Tirani 1856," ake tonu atu. Na hei tohu mo to matou whakaae-tanga ki nga kupu e takoto nei ka tuhituhia nei e matou o matou nei ingoa me o matou nei tohu ki konei.

Aperahama te Pohe.
Te Harawira x his mark.
Tapoto x his mark.
Wiremu Tamihana.
Inia te Tua.
Hori Pakihi (signed by Heremaia for him).
Heremaia Pati.
Ko Rota Wananga.
Taringa Kuri x his mark.

Kai Titiro i te tuhituhinga o nga ingoa—
Alexander S. Allen, Clerk Registrar Supreme Court.
William N. Searancke, Dist. Commr.

Upoko whakaatuatuatu i whakahuatia i to runga ake nei tuhituhinga.

1.Reserve 1. [351a. 2r. 7p.]Ko taua wahi whenua katoa kei Ohariu ko ona rohe enei ko te kaha o te Hauraro, ko te Pihi whenua 69 kei te marangai ko nga pihi whenua "3" "4" "7" "8" kei te tonga ko te pihi whenua "78" kei te hauru ko tetahi pihi whenua tinana kei wanganui o te "72" me te "75" ko nga Eka o roto, e toru rau e rima tekau ma tahi e rua o nga rure, e whitu o nga paehe. Nga Nama kei te Taati o nga whenua "77" "88" "97."
2.Reserve 2. [76 acres.] Ko te pihi whenua te turanga o te Pa kei Ohariu anake kei te taha o raro kei te Moana kei te Marangai ko te Awa o Ohariu kei te tonga ko te Pihi "81" kei te Mauru ko te whenua kahore ano i ruritia, ko nga Eka o roto "76" eka te nama kei te Taati whenua "98."
3Reserve 3. [1,300 acres.] Katoa te pihi whenua tinana kahore ano i ruritia kei te hauauru o te Pa, ko nga kaha o raro me te mauru ko te Moana kei te tonga, he whenua kahore ano i ruritia kei te Marangai Nga pihi whenua "98" "81" "82" "83" Ohariu me "39" "37" "35" Makara, ko nga ekara kotahi mano e toru rau.
4.Reserve 4. [200a. 0r. 32p.] Ko te pihi whenua kei te kainga kei Makara ko te kaha ki te kaha whakararo. Ko nga wahi pukepuke kahore ano i ruritia kei te Maura ko te pihi whenua tinana "1300" eka i ki atu ai imua kei te tonga ko te Pihi whenua "35" kei te Marangai ko te pihi "38" o te kainga Makara me te "87" o te kainga Ohariu ko nga eka i roto 200 eka, e toru tekau ma rua o nga Paehe.

Translation.
New Zealand Native Reserves Act 1856. Clause XIV.

1859. About December. Wellington District.Know all men by these Presents that we The Chiefs and people of the Ngatitama Tribe in pursuance of the "New Zealand Native Reserves Act 1856" Do hereby release OHARIU. and convey to Her Majesty Victoria Queen of England, Her heirs and successors all those Conveyance by Ngatitama of four Native reserves. pieces or parcels of Land described in the Schedule hereunder written Together with all members rights and appurtenances thereto belonging or in any wise appertaining To hold unto Her said Majesty Her Heirs and Successors for ever, subject to the Provisions and for the ends intents and purposes of the said "New Zealand Native Reserves Act 1856."

In witness of our assent to the words here written, we have hereunto subscribed our names and marks.

(Signed) Aperahama te Pohe.
Te Harawira x his mark.
Tapoto x his mark.
Wiremu Tamihana.
Inia te Tua.
Hori Pakihi x (signed by Heremaia for him).
Heremaia Pati.
Ko Rota Wananga.
Taringa Kuri x his mark.

Witness to the signatures of—
(Signed) Alexander S. Allen, Clerk Registrar Supreme Court.

Schedule referred to in the foregoing Deed.

1. [351a. 2r. 7p.] 1st. All that piece of land situate in Ohariu District bounded on the North by section 69 on the East by Sections 3, 4 & 7 & 8 on the South by Section 78 and on the West by a block of land between Sections 72 and 75 and containing 351 acres 2 roods & 7 perches and distinguished on plan as Nos. 77, 88 and 97.
2. [76 acres.] 2nd. All that piece of Land situate in Ohariu District on which the Pa is situated bounded on the North by the sea on the East by the Ohariu river on the South by section 81 and on the West by unsurveyed Land: containing 76 acres and distinguished on plan as No. 98.
3. [1,300 acres.] 3rd. All that Block of unsurveyed Land to the South West of the Pa bounded on the North and West by the sea on the South by unsurveyed land and on the East by the boundary lines of Sections 98, 81, 82 Ohariu District and 39, 37, 35 Makara District containing 1300 acres.
page 111
4th. All that block of land in the Makara District bounded on the North by a rugged piece of unsurveyed Land, on the West by the above mentioned Block of 1300 acres on the South by section 25 and on the East by Section 38 Makara District and 87 Ohariu District 4. [200a. 0r. 32p.] containing 200 acres no roods and 32 perches.

Endorsement.

Ko te Ritenga tenei i wakaae ai matou kia tuku atu enei wahi whenua o matou ki a These four reserves to be sold. Wikitoria te Knini o Ingarani, kia hokonatu ki a te Pakeha ko nga utu kia homai ki a matou ano—kia mutu ai nga raruraru.

Inia te Tua.
Heremaia Pati x his mark.
Aperahama Pohe x his mark.
Rota Wananga.
Parata kiore.
Wi Tamihana x his mark.
Harawira Tutawia x his mark.
ma matou katoa.

Translation.

The correct motive on which we have consented to make over these our lands to Her Majesty Victoria Queen of England are—In order that they may be sold to the Europeans and the payment handed over to us, so that our troubles may be ended.

Inia te Tua.
Heremaia Pati x his mark.
Aperahama Pohe x his mark.
Rota Wananga.
Parata Kiore.
Wi Tamihana x his mark.
Harawira Tutawia x his mark.
signed for us all.

Produced at the Native Land Court at the investigation of the title of Te Harawira and others to Ohariu, Prov. Wellington.

Thos. H. Smyth,
Judge N.L.C.

July 3, 1866.

A True Copy of Original Conveyance, Translation, and Endorsement.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellingtong, December 29th, 1875.