1848. 24 November.Grey and Bell District. This Deed written on the 24th day of November in the year of Our Lord
One thousand eight hundred and forty eight is a document shewing the full and
true consent of us the people of Te Hua and Puketapu whose names are attached
hereunto to sell give up and entirely surrender the land now occupied by Mr.
Cooke that is all that land ofLand Near Te Hua, Conveyed by
puketapu. which the boundaries were gone over by us together Mr. Bell and
Carrington the surveyor for which [land] Mr. Bell gave us one bull and three
heifers. And in consideration of our having received these cattle we fully
consent on behalf of ourselves our relatives and all our descendants after us to
give up entirely that place with all the waters trees and every thing else
appertaining to the said land to the Governor of New Zealand as a permanent
possession for him or for the Europeans whom the Governor may agree to give that
land to as a property for the Europeans for ever.
Boundaries. The boundaries of that land: Commencing at Mr. Cook's stockyard thence
in a direct line towards the sea to Toitoipapa on reaching that place it runs
straight in a north-easterly direction to Te Ruatangata from thence it goes
inside the survey leaving out the place called Te Ruatangata thence to the sea
to Te Huhi swamp and along Carrington's survey to the North to Te Ahoroa thence
straight along the survey inland to Ngatapakurari from thence in a southerly
direction along the main line [road] to the south-western corner of Mr. Cook's
We entirely give up all the land within the boundaries described and pointed
out to us at this meeting the plan of the land is shewn on the plan on the
margin of this deed of sale.
And in token of our consent to all the conditions told and explained to us by
Mr. McLean we sign our names and make our marks to this Deed.
And in token of the consent of the Governor to all the conditions of this Deed
the name of Henry King Resident Magistrate of Taranaki is hereunto subscribed.
T. E. Young,
Translator, Native Department.
A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation.
August 21st, 1875.
H. Hanson Turton.