Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume Two

Translation

Translation.

1854. 6 September. Omata District.I have receivedfrom Mr. Cooper the sum of thirty five pounds £35 in money. This is in payment for all my lands within the boundaries of the Europeans, that is to say, this is a complete abandonment of all my lands to the Queen for ever and ever. I wall Tataraimaka. Receipt for £35, Heta's claims. Boundaries. never raise any further question about this, never, No man shall hereafter give trouble on this land. None at all. These are the boundaries. Katikara is the boundary to the South, running inland to Pukeporoporo Piraunui, Hoa, Pitoone Ngamonamona, Hikawaia, te Warau, thence to Timaru, te Kanihi, Poponui te Henga, Pukehou, Rangataua, Kaikoura, Rangihoua, thence to the sea, at Paengaroa Waioheru, Hetai, te Roto Waiotawa Moanatahora, Tarare te Rapa a tukawau, Pakakaho, te Pikikahu & Timaru is the boundary to the North, thence inland to Te Wairoa, Moko Rangihoua, these are the boundaries of all my lands included in the lands of the Europeans and which have been given up by me on this day for ever and ever as a secure possession to the Europeans. If any person comes from North or from South or wherever he may come from, I will settle with that person if he should appear hereafter. That is all. And in witness of my acceptance of these terms I have signed my name to this paper on this day that is on the sixth day of September 1854.

(Signed) Heta te Ngahuru.

Witnesses to the payment and signature—
(Sigd.) Tamati Wiremu.
John Rogan, Surveyor.
H. Halse, Sub-Inspector of Police.
Octa. Carrington, Govt. Surveyor.

True Translation.
G. S. Cooper, D.C.
A True Copy of Original Receipt and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, September 21st, 1875.