Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Deed Receipts—No. 47.]

Deed Receipts—No. 47.

Orakei Block, Waitemata, Auckland District.

Akarana, 21 Hune, 1845.
He pukapuka tino wakaae pono tenei na maua kia tukua to matou kainga ki Orakei, ki 1854. 21 June. Auckland District. Rapanga te Uira hoki, ara nga kainga e rua e wakaturia e te Hira Kawau ki a Hone Orakei. Whaite, kei runga tonu i nga rohe kua oti te whakaatu te tikanga o te whenua e tukua ki a Wikitoria te Kuini o Ingarini ki nga Kingi Kuini ranei o muri iho i a ia ake tonu atu.
Nga utu mo aua whenua, e rua Rau e rima tekau £250—Kotahi rau o aua moni Receipt for £100. kua riro mai ki a maua i tenei ra na te Makarini i homai, ko nga utu e toe ake me homai ana oti te ruritanga.

Na Te Hira Kawau.
Te Retimana.

Kai Titiro—

John White, Interpreter.
John P. Russell, Settler, Wairarapa.

page 734 Kua riro mai i a matou i a te Makarini inaianei i tenei ra, i te 4 wha o nga ra o Hurai kotahi rau pauna moni o nga mea i toe—toe ke hoki e (£50) Rima tekau.

Te Hira Kawau.
Keene—Na Patutaix his mark.
Wiremu Reweti.
Paul.

1854. 4 July.Receipt for £100.Witness

John White, Interpreter.
H. T. Kemp, J.P.

Akarana, 7 o Hurai, 1854.
1854. 7 July.Receipt for £50. Kua riro mai i a matou inaianei, na te Makarini i homai, nga tekau pauna E Rima, ko nga toenga utu mo te whenua e korerotia nei i roto o tenei pukapuka—kua oti nei hoki te whenua te tino ruri, te whakaoti atu ki te Kawanatanga o te Kuini; kei "Orakei e takoto ana £50.

te hira Kawau.
Paul.
Keene.
Na Patutaix his mark.

Witnesses

John P. Russell.
H. T. Kemp, J.P.

Translation.

Auckland, 21st June, 1854.
1854. 21 June.This is a deed containing the true and full consent of us two by which we surrender the Auckland District. land we own at Orakei and also at Rapanga te Uira, that is to say, the portion of land Orakei. that will be pointed out by Hira Kawau to John White. The land is within the boundaries which have already been described which is now given to Victoria the Queen of England, to the Kings or (Queens who may succeed her for ever and ever.
Total price, £250. The payment for the land is two hundred and fifty pounds (£250 . 0 . 0) one hundred Receipt for £100. pounds of this money has been paid to us by Mr. McLean and the remainder of the money is to be paid to us whenever the land is properly surveyed and laid down.

(Sd.) Na Te Hira Kawau.
Te Retimana.

Witnesses—

(Sd.) John White, Interpreter.
(Sd.) John P. Russell, Settler, Wairarapa.

1854. 4 July.Receipt for £100. We have received on this the 4th day of July the sum of one hundred pounds (£100) being a portion of the money which remained (for this land); there still remains the sum of Fifty pounds (£50).

(Sd.) Te Hira Kawau.
Keene—Na Patutai x his mark.
Wiremu Reweti.
Paul.

Witnesses—

John White, Interpreter.
H. T. Kemp, J.P.

Auckland, 7 July, 1854.
1854. 7 July. We have received on this day the sum of Fifty pounds being the remainder or balance of the payment for the land described within this Deed; the land having beenReceipt for £50. now properly surveyed and finally transferred to the Government of the Queen: the land is situated at Orakei.

(Sd.) Te Hira Kawau.
Paul.
Keene.
Na Patutai x his mark.

Witnesses—

(Sd.) John P. Russell.
" H. T. Kemp, J.P.

True Translation.

John Grant Johnson,
Acting for Chief Commr.

Dec. 5, 1856.

A True Copy of Original Receipts and Translation.

H. H. Turton.

Wellington, July 22nd, 1875.