Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Deeds—No. 356.]

page 460

Deeds—No. 356.

Te Karo No. 1 (or Tairua) Block, Coromandel District.

Certificate of Title. (C.)

New Zealand.
Certificate of Title. Register Book,
Vol 8. Folio 182.
Te Karo No. I.1874. 29 September.Coromandel District .Pursuant to Memorandum of Transfer from Miriama Pehi Pukukauri and others No. 384 Her Majesty Queen Victoria is now seized of an Estate in fee simple, subject nevertheless to such encumbrances, liens and interests as are notified by Memorial under-written or indorsed hereon, in that piece of land situated in the District of Coromandel, Queen's County in the Colony of New Zealand containing One thousand two hundred and seventy acres more or less called or known as "Karo" Block Miriama, Pehi, and others.[1,270 acres.] numbered 2607 as the same is delineated by the plan in the margin hereunder edged green and in the public map of the said District deposited in the office of the Native Lands at Auckland originally granted the twentieth day of February 1874 under the hand of Sir James Fergusson Baronet, Governor of New Zealand to the said Miriama Pehi Pukukauri and others In witness whereof I have hereunto signed my name and affixed my seal this twenty ninth day of September one thousand eight hundred and seventy four.

Geo. B. Davy, District Land Registrar of the District of Auckland. Signed in the presence of T. S. Hall the 29th day of September 1874.

Lease from Miriama and others to John Hawkins Graham. Lease No. 67 from the above named Miriama Pehi Pukukauri Peneamone Tanea Hori Kerei Tuokioki and Matene Pehi to John Hawkins Graham with grant of Timber and other rights. Produced and entered the sixth day of July 1874 at 10 a.m.

(l.s.)

Geo. B. Davy,
District Land Registrar.

A True Copy of Original Certificate.

H. H. Turton.

Wellington, March 19th, 1875.

(Deed Enclosure in No. 356). Te Karo No. 1 (or Tairua) Block (Timber Lease), Coromandel District.

1872. 17 December.Coromandel District. This Deed made the seventeenth day of December One thousand eight hundred and seventy two Between Miriama Pehi Pukukauri Peneamene Tanui Hori Kerei Tuokioki and Matene Pehi all of Mercury Bay in the Province of Auckland and Colony of New Zealand Te Karo Or Tairua No. I. Aboriginal Natives (hereinafter called the said Venders of the one part and Her Majesty Queen Victoria of the other part Witnesseth that in consideration the sum of one hundred pounds sterling paid by her said Subject to grant of timber to John Hawakins Graham. Majesty Queen Victoria to the said Vendors (the receipt whereof they and each of them doth hereby acknowledge they the said Vendors Do each and every of them Doth hereby convey and assure unto her said Majesty Queen Victoria, Her Successors and Assigns (save and except as herein after mentioned All that piece or parcel of land containing by admeasurement one thousand two hundred and seventy acres more or less situate at or near Tairua in the Receipt for £100. [1,270 acres.] Bay of Plenty Queen's County in the province and Colony aforesaid and called or known as Tairua block the several boundaries of which said piece or parcel of land and the several measurements of the boundary lines thereof are particularly shewn and set out on the plan of the piece of land hereby conveyed drawn hereon. Together with all the rights easements members and appurtenances thereto belonging and all deeds thereto relating. And all other rights which the said Vendors or any of them have or may have of in to or out of the same piece of land. To hold the same premises unto Her said Majesty Queen Victoria her successor and assigns for ever Subject nevertheless to the sale and grant of the Timber and trees on the said land and the demise of the said land made by a certain deed of grant and demise between the said Grantors of the one part and John Hawkins Graham therein described) of the other part bearing date the sixteenth day of December One thousand eight hundred and seventy two In Witness whereof the said parties hereto have subscribed their names.

Hori Tuokioki his mark.
Matene Peri.

Miriama Pehi Pukukauri
her x mark.
Peneamene Tanui.

Signed by the said Miriama Pehi Pukukauri Peneamene Tanui Hori Keri Tuokioki and Matene Pehi in the presence of us—
T. W. R. Guilding, Licensed Interpreter, Shortland. Henry T. Rowe, Licensed Surveyor, Shortland.

[Declaration of John William Richard Guilding]

Declaration of J. W. R. Guilding. I John William Richard Guilding of Shortland, in the District of Hauraki in the Province of Auckland and Colony of New Zealand a duly licensed Interpreter under the Native Lands Act 1865, The Native Lands Act, 1867, The Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1868, The Native Lands Act 1869, and the Native Lands Act Amendment Act, 1870, do solemnly and sincerely declare as follows:—
1.That I was present on the day of December one thousand eight hundred and seventy two together with Henry Thornton Rowe of Shortland, aforesaid page 461Licensed Surveyor a male adult and did see Miriama Pehi Pukukauri, Peneamene Tanui Hori Kerei Tuokioki and Matene Pehi mentioned and described in the within written deed duly sign and execute the said deed.
2.That the signatures Peneamene Tanui "and Matene Pehi" set and subscribed to the within written deed are of the proper handwriting of the said Peneamene Tanui and Matene Pehe respectively and that the marks "x" "x" Thereto set and affixed were made in our presence by the said Miriama Pehi Pukukauri and Hori Kerei Tuokioki respectively.
3.That the signatures J. W. R. Guilding Henry T. Rowe set and subscribed to the said within written deed as the witnesses attesting the due execution thereof are of the proper handwriting of the said Henry T. Rowe, and me this declarant respectively.
4.That immediately before the execution of the said Deed by the said Miriama Pehi Pukukauri Peneamene Tanui Hori Kerei Tuokioki and Matene Pehi I did interpret the same to them into the Maori language and that my translation thereof was correct and was understood by the said Miriama Pehi Pukukauri Peneamene Tanui Hori Kerei Tuokioki and Matene Pehi.

And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true and by virtue of the above named Acts of the General Assembly of New Zealand and of a certain other Act intituled. The Justics of the Peace Act, 1866.

J. W. R. Guilding.

Made and declared at Shortland in the Province aforesaid this twenty-fourth day of December, one thousand eight hundred and seventy two Before me?

E. W. Puckey,

One of Her Majesty's Justices of the Peace in and for the Colony of New Zealand. Registration. Received for registration at 2. p.m. 21st July, 1874.

M. Hamilton,
Depy. Regs.

Particulars entered in Register Book Vol 3, Folio 267 the 29th day of September, 1874, at 2 p.m.

J. V Davy, D.L.R.

(l.s.)
True Copy.
T. S. Hall,
Land Transfer Dept.

A True Transcript of Certified Copy of Deed, Declaration, and Endorsements.

H. H. Turton.

Wellington, October 25th, 1875