Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Declaration of James Wathen Preece]

[Declaration of James Wathen Preece]

Declaration of Jas. Wathen Preece.I James Wathen Preece of Auckland of the Province of Auckland in New Zealand a duly authorized Interpreter under The Native Lands Acts 1865, 1867 1869 and 1870 do solemnly and sincerely declare—
1.That I was present together with Albert John Nicholas of Hikutaia in the Province of Auckland aforesaid a male adult and did see Repiu Tokata and Reupena Tahura page 438named and described in the within written Deed duly sign and execute the same that I was also present with Henry William Heath of Auckland aforesaid a male adult and did see Wiremu Huia and Ereatara Tinirau named and described in the within written Deed duly sign and execute the same.
2.That the names Repiu Tokata Reupena Tahura thereto subscribed are of the proper handwriting of the said Repiu Tokata and Reupena Tahura and the marks opposite the names of the said Wiremu Huia and Ereatara Tinirau were made by them they being illiterate.
3.That before the execution of the said Deed by the said Repiu Tokata, Reupena Tahura, Wiremu Huia and Ereatara Tinirau, I did translate the same into the Maori language and that my translation thereof was correct and was perfectly understood by the said Repiu Tokata Reupena Tahura, Wiremu Huia and Ereatara Tinirau and I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true and by virtue of certain Acts of the General Assembly of New Zealand intituled "The Native Lands Act 1865," "The Native Lands Act 1867," "The Native Lands Act 1869," "The Native Lands Act 1870," and the Justices of the Peace Act 1866.

(Signed) J. W. Preece.

Declared at Grahamstown, Thames,

the eighth day of October, 1874.

(Signed) Albert J. Allom,

A Justice of the Peace.