Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Deeds—No. 233.]

Deeds—No. 233.

Fairburn Block (Disputed Land in), Auckland District.

1854. 21 February.Auckland District.E whakaae ana matou nga Rangatira o Ngatitai Kia tukua atu kia Fairburn Block. Kuini Victoria te Kuini o ingarangi nga wahi katoa e tohea ana e uru ai matou i roto i nga rohe o te whenua i hokona matamuakia te Pepene (ki te ritenga o te whakaahua whenua kua oti Disputed land between Tamaki and Wairoa nei ki tenei Pukapuka te tuhi tuhi) Kia Whakamutua rawatia ta matou meatanga ki tenei whenua ahakoa he eahi i a matou pu ake ano, ahakoa, he wahi i whakahokia mai e te Pepene e nga kai whakarite ranei, e nga Kawana ranei o mua, hei utu mo nga rau Receipt for £500 Pauna £500 . 0 . 0 Kua homai nei kia matou i tenei ra i te rua tekau ma tahi o Pepueri i te tau 1854 e whakaae ana matou nga Titai kia tonoa e matou Nga tangata katoa, me Nga Ti whakaue kia nuku ke atu ratou kia waiho pai tia tenei whenua ma te Pakeha, a e whakaae ana ano matou kia whakamahuetia e matou e nga Titai tenei whenua a kia haere atu matou ki Umupuia noho ai ki te whenua kua hoki mai ia Kuini kia matou.

Hori te Wetuki
Ruato
Na te Haua
Aperahama Waekaha
Tamati Te oko
Na Raharuhi
Puangarahi
Maungarongo
Ngawaka
te Weu
te Nupo
Taronoa
Matiu Kape
Watene te Makuru
Mere Kingi To Kokopu No Ngatipaoa

Witness to signature and payment of the money as agreed to above in this Deed

John White, Interpreter

Witness to signature of Hori Whetuki—

Thomas Eckford, Farmer, Maraetai

Translation.

1854. 21 February.Fairburn Block.We the Chiefs of the Ngatitai Tribe hereby consent to make over to the Queen of England all places whatsoever claimed by us or in which we have any part within the Block known by the name of "Fairburn's Block" as formerly sold (according to the Claims of Ngatitai plan annexed to this Document) to relinquish all our claims to this Land whether originally owned by us or returned by Mr. Fairburn or given back by the Commissioner Receipt for £500 of Land Claims or by any former Governor upon our receiving £500 in money given now to us on this day the 21st of February in the year 1854. We the Ngatitai also agree to order all men including the Ngatiwhakaue to move from this Land which is to This block to be vacated by Natives be left for Europeans only, We the Ngatitai also agree to move off this Land to that portion given to us by the Queen called Umupuia.

Signatures—

(Signed) Hori Te Whetuki
Ruato
Na te Hana
Aperahama Waekaha
Tamati te Oko
Norahuruhi
Waungarongo
Ngawaka
Te Wea
Tanupo
Ngaronoa
Watere Kape
Watere Te Makuru
Mare Kingi te Kakapu No Ngatipato.

Witness to signatures and the payment of the money as agreed to above in this Deed—

(Signed) John White, Interpreter.

Witness to Signature of Hori te Whetuki—

(Signed) Thomas Eckford, Farmer, Maraitai

Names written upon the sketch upon the Deed.

Mauri.
Eruataroa.
Matawa.
Waeta.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, February 10th, 1876.