Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Deeds—No. 216.]

Deeds—No. 216.

Kairiparaua Block, Waitemata, Auckland District.

Ko te tuhituhinga o tenei pukapuka i te ra 30 o Maehe 1848 te whakaaetanga o ahau 1848. 30 March.Auckland District. me nga Rangatira me nga tangata o Ngatiwatua, te whakaaetanga ano hoki o te Kuini o Ingarani mona, na ko ahau me nga tangata o Ngatiwhatua, nga tangata i te kainga e Kairiparaua. tuhituhia nei ki tenei pukapuka, na ka whakaae ahau me aua tangata ki te hook i tenei whenua kia Kuini Victoria hei utu mo te tekau marima nga pauna moni, ka hoatu nei ki au me nga tangata, nokonei ka hoatu nei, ka tuku atu nei ki a Victoria te Kuini o Ingarani, ki te Kingi Kuini ranei i muri i a ia ake ake ake i taua whenua me nga aha noa iho, nga aha noa iho o tenei kainga, ko ona rohe koia enei ko te kaha o tetahi taha Boundaries. ki te kainga o te Keretini (Clayton) ko te taha o tetahi taha ki te kainga o Kamera (Gamble) ko te kaha o tetahi taha ki te kainga o Kihoma (Chisholm) ko te kaha o tetahi taha te awa o Waitemata kua tuhituhia te ahua o te oneone ki tua nei. Tirohia toku ingoa.

Paora.
Reweti.

I tuhituhia nga ingoa i te tirohanga o—

James Baber, Clk., Survey Office.
C. O. Davis, Auckland, Interpreter.

Kua riro mai i maua tekau marima nga pauna moni, koia ka tuhituhi nei ki raro.Receipt for £15.

Paora.
Reweti.

i te tirohanga o—

James Baker, Clk., Survey Office.

page 276

Translation.

1848. 30 March.Auckland District.This Deed written on the thirtieth day of March one thousand eight hundred and forty eight—The consenting of myself the Chiefs and men of the Ngatiwhatua—Also the consenting of the Queen of England for herself myself and the people of Ngatiwhatua Kairiparaua. who claim the land described in this Deed myself and people hereby consent to sell this land to Victoria the Queen of England for the sum of Fifteen Pounds sterling now given to myself and the said persons Wherefore we now give up and make over to Victoria the Queen of England and the Kings or Queens after her for ever this Land and all appurtenances.
Boundaries. The Boundaries are as follows—Bounded on one side by Land belonging to Mr. Cretney bounded on another side by Land belonging to Mr. Gamble bounded on the other side by Land belonging to Mr. Chisholm bounded on the other side-by the River Waitemata.

See my name Paora.
Reweti.

Our names written in the presence of—

Jas. Baber, Clk., Survey Office.

Receipt for £15. I have received Fifteen Pounds Sterling wherefore I write my name—we write our names—

Paora.
Reweti.

Jas. Baber, Clk., Surrey Office.

A true translation.

John Jermyn Symonds,
Native Secretary.

A True Copy of Original Deed and Translation.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, July 12th, 1875.