Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Declaration of Samuel John Edmonds

[Declaration of Samuel John Edmonds

I, Samuel John Edmonds, of Auckland, in the Province of Auckland and Colony of Declaration of S. J. Edmonds. New Zealand, Licensed Native Interpreter, do solemnly and sincerely declare:
1. That I did faithfully interpret in the Native language the within-written Conveyance to Te Hemera Tauhia before the execution of the said Conveyance by him.
2. My translation of the said Conveyance was correct, and was understood by the said Te Hemera Tauhia.
3. The said Conveyance was executed by the said Te Hemera Tauhia in the presence of Peter Dignan, a male adult, and of me, this declarant, and was executed by the said Te Hemara Tauhia on the eighth day of February, one thousand eight hundred and seventy three.
4. The name Saml. J. Edmonds set and subscribed as that of one of the witnesses attesting the due execution of the said Conveyance by the said Te Hemera Tauhia is of my proper handwriting and I hold a certificate authorizing me to act as an Interpreter under "The Native Lands Act, 1865," and "The Native Lands Act, 1867," which certificate is in full force and effect.
5. The name "Peter Dignan," also set and subscribed as that of one of the witnesses attesting the due execution of the said Conveyance by the said Te Hemera Tauhia is of the proper Handwriting of the said Peter Dignan, and the said Peter Dignan is a male adult. And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true, and by virtue of an Act of the General Assembly of New Zealand intituled "The Justices of the Peace Act, 1866.

Saml. J. Edmonds.

Made and declared at Auckland aforesaid this tenth day of February, one thousand eight hundred and seventy-three before me—
J. A. Gilfillan
A Justice of the Peace in and for the Colony of New Zealand.

, I, Theodore Minet Haultain, the Trust Commissioner under "The Native LandsTrust Commissioner's certificate. Frauds Prevention Act, 1870," for the District of Auckland, do hereby certify that I have, with respect to the within - written instrument and the alienation thereby witnessed, made the inquiries directed by the said Act, and do certify that I am satisfied with the result of such inquiries.

T. M. Haultain,
Trust Commr.

Dated this 26th day of March, 1873.

6990 b.

Received for Registration at 1 p.m. 10th April, 1873.Registration.

(Seal.) M. Hamilton,
Dep. Registrar.

A True Copy of Original Deed, Schedule, Declaration, Certificate, and Endorsement.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, September 23rd, 1874.