Other formats

Adobe Portable Document Format file (facsimile images)   TEI XML file   ePub eBook file  

Connect

mail icontwitter iconBlogspot iconrss icon

Maori Deeds of Land Purchases in the North Island of New Zealand: Volume One

[Deeds—No. 139.]

page 183

Deeds—No. 139.

Pukeharakeke Block (near Riverhead), Kaipara District. 1851. 21 October.

Ko te tuhituhinga o tenei pukapuka i te ra e rua tekau ma tahi o Oketopa kotahi mano Kaipara District. waru rau ma rima tekau ma tahi, te whakaaetanga o matou nga Rangatira o Ngatiwhatua Pukeharakeke. te whakaaetanga ano hoki o te Kuini o Ingarani mona, na ko matou nga tangata i te kainga e tuhituhia nei ki tenei pukapuka na ka whakaae nei matou ki te hoko i tenei whenua kia Kuini Victoria hei utu mo nga pauna moni e ono tekau, no konei ka hoatu nei ka tuku atu nei kia Victoria te Kuini o Ingarani &c. &c. (Usual form.)
Ko ona rohe koia enei, kei te taha ki te tuaraki ka timata ki te Pukeharekeke haere Boundaries. tika nui ki Ararima he puke tenei; ka whati kei te taha ki te marangai ka timata kei Ararima haere tika tonu ki Watati to te Pereki (Blake) whenua kei te taha ki te tonga haere ana te rohe i Watati tika tonu ki te keringa kei Kaihakihaki e tuhituhia i te pukapuka o Waihoko kei te taha ki te hauauru haere ana te rohe i Kaihakihaki ki te timatanga o te Ararima (river) aruaru ana i tena awa tae atu ki te puke ki Pukeharekeke Ko Ararima Ko Pukeharekeke ranei te ingoa o tenei kainga, kua tuhituhia te ahua o te oneone ki tua nei.

Tirohia o matou ingoa—

(Signed) Te Hira.
(Signed) Te Kepa.
(Signed) Arama Karaka.
(Signed) Keene.

In the presence of

(Sd.) James Baber, Clk., Survey Office.
(Sd.) G. F. Swainson, Survey Office,

Auckland.

Kua riro mai i a matou nga pauna moni e toru tekau te utu tuatahi, Koia matou ka tuhituhi nei i o matou ingoa i tenei ra erua tekau ma tahi o Oketopa i te tau o to tatou Ariki Kotahi mano waru rau ma rima tekau ma tahi.

(Signed as above.)

Translation.

The writing of this document on the twenty first day of October One thousand eight 1851. 21 October. hundred and fifty one is the consent of us the Chiefs of Ngatiwhatua and the consent also Kaipara District. of the Queen of England on her part, now we the people owning the place described in this document consent to sell this land to Queen Victoria in consideration of the sum Pukeharaheke. of Sixty pounds. We therefore give it over and cede it to Victoria the Queen of England &c. &c. (Usual form.)
These are the boundaries on the North commencing at Pukeharekeke thence to Boundaries. Ararima a hill thence on the East commencing at Ararima straight on to Watati (Mr. Blake's land) on the South from Watati straight on to the digging at Kaihakihaki described in the deed of Waihoko, on the West from Kaihakihaki to the source of Ararima river thence following the course of that river to the hill at Pukeharekeke. The name of this place is either Pukeharekeke or Ararima; the plan of the land is on the back hereof.

Witness our hands.

[Witnesses.]

[Signatures.]

We have received the sum of Thirty pounds the first payment; we therefore sign ourReceipt for £30, first instalment. names on this twenty first day of October in the year of our Lord One thousand eight hundred and fifty one.

[Witnesses.]

[Signatures.]

Correct translation.

T. E. Young,
Translator Native Department.

A True Transcript of Office Copy of Original Deed.

H. Hanson Turton.

Wellington, February 24th, 1876.